Moodle documentation: Online Instructor Led Moodle Intro Workshop - Who to contact??

Moodle documentation: Online Instructor Led Moodle Intro Workshop - Who to contact??

by Stefanie Jackson -
Number of replies: 6

I apologize if this question is in the wrong place.  I did a search before posting but couldn't find a better place to ask..

I'm BRAND new to Moodle so I'm a bit clueless.  We're looking to train 3 people in the office (myself included) via an on-line workshop or, if the price is right, perhaps with an on-site training session.  Since we're all new to Moodle, we'll need a comprehensive overview.  I know thats a lot to cram into one session, but hopefully it can give us a solid introduction to the basic functionality of Moodle.

I've contacted both organizations which are listed under 'United States' on http://moodle.com/training/ - multiple times, in fact - and neither have gotten back to me. 

Does anyone do an on line instructor led Moodle Workshop?? Do you have any ideas of who I can contact??

Thanks for the help!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefanie Jackson

Re: Moodle documentation: Online Instructor Led Moodle Intro Workshop - Who to contact??

by Steve Hyndman -

Stefanie...a couple of days ago I would have responded with an offer of help, but I'm a little "gun shy" these days smile.

Good luck...you may want to try some overseas Moodle Partners...I believe there are a couple in the UK who do online training.

Steve 

In reply to Steve Hyndman

Re: Moodle documentation: Online Instructor Led Moodle Intro Workshop - Who to contact??

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Very good Steve smile   I was going to suggest that since Stefanie wanted to be on line, anyone in the world could potentially assist her. 

Skype (for example) and sharing desktops is a slightly different synchronous training method instead of the traditional face to face onsite meeting.   Could also do it via a videoconference, with video on one monitor and desktop on another (my other non- Moodle related job).

Alternatively, sending messages via Moodle to people who she thinks are doing things similar to what she wants to do, is another way of finding solutions to her problem.   I would assume that many of these referals from users would lead to moodle partners.

In reply to Chris Collman

by Stefanie Jackson -

I know the Moodle Partners are the logical place to go, but I haven't had any luck with actually getting a reply from them. sad

As far as overseas partners - Yes, thats definitely a possibility that I've considered.  I was hoping for someone US based simply for ease of coordination.  The time change could make things difficult. mixed

Thanks for the quick replies!!

On a totally unrelated note - I find it funny that the spell check doesn't recognized 'Moodle'.  Haha.  Perhaps it should be added to the dictionary. 

by Steve Hyndman -

On a totally unrelated note - I find it funny that the spell check doesn't recognized 'Moodle'.  Haha.  Perhaps it should be added to the dictionary

True, but in all fairness the spell checker isn't a part of Moodle...it's a separate program that runs on the server. I'm not sure what is used here on moodle.org, but I would guess it's Aspell. It would be a real pain to go through and add all the "tech specific" words that may be used here in the forms.

by Tom Murdock -
Hi Stephanie,

We're a new partner and would be pleased to help.  Actually, we're an old partner (Thinking Distance) reorganized into a company called Moodlerooms.  I can see from your profile that you are a Detroiter.  You have a lot of strong Moodlers in your neighborhood.  In fact, Thinking Distance grew out of Cranbrook Schools where I used to teach.

In any case, feel free touch base with me offline or to write for info (at) moodlerooms.com.

best,
Tom

by Bryan Williams -
Stefanie,
On the afternoon of June 22nd I received your email inquiring about online training and related issues, including how to create a course. I responded the next morning asking if I could call you because there were several parts to your question that might best be answered over the phone much better. I never received a response or a call from you. Is it possible your email spam filter may have kicked my message.  Here is the message you sent me and my reply.

Hi Stefanie,

Can I call you? I think some explanations are needed that would be easier to convey over the phone.

Regards,
Bryan

Bryan Williams
remote-Learner.net LLC
bryan@remote-Learner.net                                                                                              
http://remote-learner.net                                                                                   
Office: 540/324-0330
Fax: 915/200-9145
Elluminate vRoom: https://www.elluminate.com/mtg.jnlp?password=982387505                                                                       

Authorized Moodle Partner
Authorized Elluminate Agent

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 4:22 PM
To: bryan@remote-Learner.net
Subject: remote-Learner.net Enquiry

This is an enquiry e-mail from Stefanie Jackson (stefaniej@fiveonline.com)

I am looking for information on online-based Moodle training.  We have three people in the office that we are looking to have trained.  I attempted to look at your 'Moodle Demo', but it kept timing out.

Would one online based course be enough to give us a comprehensive overview of Moodle or should we expect to need additional courses?  What is covered in a general course?

What resources would we need to provide in order to set up an online course?  What would be the cost of training for 3 people? 

We are looking to set up training asap.  I look forward to your response.