Students can alter the contents... towards the destruction of the contents! Oh Yeah!... COMMENTS PLEASE

Students can alter the contents... towards the destruction of the contents! Oh Yeah!... COMMENTS PLEASE

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Number of replies: 4
Hi there,
I posted some thougths on my moodle blog and here you have the chance to comment it.
Students can alter the contents... towards the destruction of the contents! Oh Yeah!...
By the way if you post in moodle blogs you can do the same so get feedback.
Ludo out
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

Re: Students can alter the contents... towards the destruction of the contents! Oh Yeah!... COMMENTS PLEASE

by Scott Elliott -
Ludo,

This is great! I experienced this from a teaching point of view just this past spring.  I made a comment in class that the students could ignore problems xx-xx because the problems were "lame".  I had a student bust up laughing in class.  I didn't think I was that funny wink, so I asked him what caused him to laugh.  He said, "that's exactly what's written in my book, these problems are lame, don't do them".  It then dawned on me how often I must say that, semester after semester.  Especially when I checked other students' books in the same class.  80%+ had the same thing written!

Maybe with the "blog this" tacked on to the learning activities, students can leave "helpful" comments regarding the activities.  These would need to be transfered from semester to semester...

Interesting idea though, let the wisdom of past students be carried on to the future students!

Scott

Re: Students can alter the contents... towards the destruction of the contents! Oh Yeah!... COMMENTS PLEASE

by Mike Carrington -

I agree that we should use students work and discoveries to help others - I think that the Glossary in Moodle would be one relatively simple way of accumulating and disseminating information that students find useful.

One downside is that part of the learning process is developed by contributing suggestions, questions and answers to this sort of communal area.  After a year or so, the majority of the useful information will probably have been presented, making it a valuable resource for students, but a less effective collaborative tool.

I guess that, at that point, a clear-out is necessary.

Mike

by Polis Aniftos -
Interesting idea and very innovative

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
I just discovered that a Wiki can be exported as HTML pages to their own course folder. This means any individual pages can be a resources or links in a lesson page or what ever.

Being lazy, I wondered if students could write more interesting questions to better demonstrate concepts? I like the wiki so questions can become a collaborative effort and it would be easy to create say a chapter index page for question links. Perhaps in the current class cycle offer a few of the best questions in an exam. Then in later classes, these questions become part of the course outside of the wiki that slowly expell all the lame ones. Of course I would offer every cycle the opportunity to collaborate on questions.

Then there are the answers.