Teacher Plan Module Update for 1.6

Teacher Plan Module Update for 1.6

by Josh Bush -
Number of replies: 24
The Teacher Plan Module has been updated to accomodate Moodle 1.6.  It is available on here: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170942
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josh Bush

Re: Teacher Plan Module Update for 1.6

by Geoff King -
I get the following errors when attempting to install this:

1136: Column count doesn't match value count at row 1

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display VALUES ('teacherplan', 'update', 'teacherplan', 'name')  

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display VALUES ('teacherplan', 'add', 'teacherplan', 'name')  

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display VALUES ('teacherplan', 'view objectives', 'teacherplan', 'name')  

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display VALUES ('teacherplan', 'update objectives', 'teacherplan', 'name')  

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display VALUES ('teacherplan', 'add objectives', 'teacherplan', 'name')  

Error

In reply to Geoff King

by Josh Bush -
I noticed that Art and others fixed this problem by changing the prefix_log_display lines in the mysql.sql file to:

INSERT INTO prefix_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('teacherplan', 'view', 'teacherplan', 'name');
INSERT INTO prefix_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('teacherplan', 'update', 'teacherplan', 'name');
INSERT INTO prefix_log_display  (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('teacherplan', 'add', 'teacherplan', 'name');
INSERT INTO prefix_log_display (module, action, mtable, field)  VALUES ('teacherplan', 'view objectives', 'teacherplan', 'name');
INSERT INTO prefix_log_display (module, action, mtable, field)  VALUES ('teacherplan', 'update objectives', 'teacherplan', 'name');
INSERT INTO prefix_log_display (module, action, mtable, field)  VALUES ('teacherplan', 'add objectives', 'teacherplan', 'name');

However, follow Art's link to Ger's fix on the book, I noticed that others had some duplicate key problems.  Since AFAIK the problem you encountered was not a problem when my system was upgraded, I would like to hear why this change is needed before I make it.  Anyone who can justify and explain it?
In reply to Josh Bush

by Josh Bush -
After a bit of searching, I found the problem.  The log_display field had an "id" field added to the table, thus making the INSERT unclear.  I have fixed it and will post the changes soon. Thanks!
In reply to Josh Bush

by mandy honeyman -
Hi Josh,

Just tried installing this new version from sourceforge with stable 1.6 and I get similar errors to those mentioned here earlier.

Are you any closer to posting a fix?

cheers
Mandy
In reply to mandy honeyman

by Josh Bush -
Yes.  You can implement the changes mentioned for yourself, or wait another 2 or 3 days.  I am adding in a number of administrative configuration options as well as replacing Objectives with Standards/Benchmarks.  I'll explain when I post the change in a few days.
In reply to Josh Bush

by Art Lader -

Thank you for continuing to improve the teacherplan mod, Josh. And thank you for sharing your work with us all!

-- Art

In reply to Josh Bush

by Josh Bush -
I've been working on updating and improving the module.  I factored in the changes necessary for the log, so new installations should be fine.  I also added:
  1. Standards.  What was "Objectives" is now "Benchmarks".  Mostly this was to satisfy my administration, but it can be considered a choice of names.  However, more information has been added, including:
  • Each benchmark can be assigned to a standard
  • Each benchmark (and standard) can have a "designation" given.  Essentially this is just a number (or letter) identifying the benchmark/standard.  This arose out of my administration trying to use a consistent numbering scheme.
  • Please note: It should be OK to have no designation and/or no standards, but although I have tried to program to allow that, I have not tested it much.
You can now import both standards and benchmarks from the Admin|Modules page.  Incidentally, you can do the same from a Teacher Plan, as before, expect you are then limited to that course.  I have removed the ability to copy benchmarks from one course to another in favour of the import mechanism.  It is not fancy (depends on a comma-separated cut-and-paste), but it works. The data entry for Teacher Plans has been separated into two parts: first you enter benchmarks, then you enter the rest of the data.  This helps delineate activities a little cleaner, I think. There are other changes resulting from the items above, so you may see a few other things.  I have not finished putting standards everywhere I wish to yet, but I thought that I'd let whoever wished to have a crack at it.  I still want to clean it up some more (too much information), and I plan to provide a way to include direct links to existing course activities (such as linking an assignment or HTML resource to the plan).  More to come in the next few days, but enjoy this for now.  Let me know your reactions. Download at the same link as above (https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=170942)

BTW, I haven't figured out a way (yet!) to list, save, backup, and restore links to other activities.  Any ideas?
In reply to Josh Bush

by Andy Hawkins -

Thanks.

This sounds good. If we want to change benchmark back to objective, can we do so via the language file?

Andy

In reply to Andy Hawkins

by Josh Bush -
Essentially, yes.  In essence benchmarks and objectives cover the same ground, so if you want to call them something particular feel free to edit the language file.  Note that you can have benchmarks without standards attached (there is a special string in the language file for these, which you could also change to "Objectives" as a heading; look for "Uncategorized" as part of that string) and still function in mostly the same way. 
In reply to Josh Bush

by mandy honeyman -
Hi Josh,
I just got back from Moodlemoot and Teacher Plan was mentioned several times. I hope that the developers attending (and Martin) took notice big grin.

Mark Burnett is working on a resource sharing project (see http://voef.org or http://vle.voef.org), which bears some resemblence to your work and in the longer term you should also be aware of Martin's Community Hub proposal, which looks like an extremely interesting development for many of us.

Back to Teacher Plan now though:

I am restoring a course created in 1.5.3 which includes Teacher Plans created with the Feb15 download into a 1.6 course which includes the TeacherPlan 1.6 version and I get this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_IF in /hsphere/local/home/madmkh/eportfolios.org.uk/portfolios/mod/teacherplan/restorelib.php on line 220

This is the line of code on 220:
if ($teacherplans = get_records_sql ("SELECT a.id, a.plan
                               FROM {$CFG->prefix}teacherplan a
                               WHERE a.course = $restore->course_id"))

This guy here says this about this kind of error:

<?php

$b = "somevalue"

if($b == "somevalue"){
print "Hello world!";
}

?>

The mistake is on the "$b =" line (no semicolon ending the statement), so the error should be "parse error: expected ; on line 3", right? Not according to the interpreter.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_IF in c:\program files\apache group\apache\htdocs\ereg2.php on line 4

On line 4, the if() syntax is perfect. So what is the interpreter getting confused from? The clue is the "unexpected T_IF" part. When an "unexpected T_???" error occurs, it means that the interpreter encountered its respective reserved word where it shouldn't be. T_IF for if(), T_WHILE for while(), T_FOR for for(), etc.

Luckily, there are a few easy causes for these errors:
  1. The statement wasn't ended with a semicolon (;), like in the example above.
  2. A quote was not properly escaped (' instead of \' or " instead of \") in a string
Sorry that's as far as I can get with trying to track the problem down. Does anyone have any idea what changes we need to make to the code to get this to work properly?

I have moodle running on PHP Version 4.4.2 mysql api 4.1.15.

cheers
Mandy
In reply to Josh Bush

by Jason Hando -
Hi Josh,

i am just stumbling n your good work after hearing Martin talk about metadata at the UK Moot and someone from the audience mentioned the teacher plan module.

Looks like great work you are doing and I have a question for you...

How does your work compare with plans to incorporate metadata into moodle courses?

I am keeping an eye on both with great interest. The ability to plan learning outcomes/standards for each course and also for specific activities and see a report showing which standards are being met/not being met is my number one wish at present for Moodle. It seems to be a logical link to normal classroom practise.

Cheers,

Jason
In reply to Jason Hando

by Ger Tielemans -

Yes, integrating the educational ideas of Josh with the thoughts about next generation metadata would be a sound fusion.

In reply to Jason Hando

by Josh Bush -
Jason,

Thanks for the comment.  I am honoured that Teacher Plan was mentioned at the Moot.  As for using metadata, I had not heard of it until you mentioned it.  At first glance, it seems some of my problems with wanting to put the Standards/Benchmarks in the course setup section, where they belong, may be solved.  I'll take a look and see; I'll post if I have any ideas.  Anyone else have thoughts on this?
In reply to Josh Bush

New update available (1.3)

by Josh Bush -
I just uploaded an update to SourceForge.  The latest version adds:

- tabbed editing to the teacher plan, allowing easier navigation (I hope)
- addition of a popup to add links to any activity in the course to the assessment and materials fields

I'd love to hear any feedback on this update, especially the tabbed editing, so let me know what you think.

Mandy, I checked the code and cannot see where the error would be.  I have, however, been in that code since the update, so maybe it's fixed?  If you can check again, I'll see what I can find.  Sorry for the trouble.  Feel free to e-mail me directly, Mandy, if you continue to have trouble with it.
In reply to Josh Bush

by Earl Austria -
As I installed, no errors but the fonts look funny.  Everything has brackets around them.  Does anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks.

modulename

Be careful modifying these settings - strange values could cause problems.

Standards and Benchmarks: configeditstandardsdesc
configallowteacherseditobj Yes No
designationseparator
In reply to Earl Austria

by Jason Hando -
I believe this is because the language file that came with the block has not been placed in your moodle/lang folder.
In reply to Josh Bush

by Bruce Wellman -
Josh,

I think this module sounds really exciting to me.  This is my first module to install.  I unzipped the download in the moodle/mod folder but I am getting the following errors,
Module "blocks" is not readable - check permissions

Module "lang" is not readable - check permissions

Module "mod" is not readable - check permissions

I have tried to search the forums but I don't seem to find any clear instructions on how the install is supposed to go.

After I looked at the files in the zipped download,  it looks like the files go into other directories, other than the "mod" folder.   Is this correct?  Could someone just give me a link to tell me how I need to do the proper install of the TEacher Plan module?

Thanks,
Bruce
In reply to Bruce Wellman

by Myles Carrick -
hi Bruce,

Mate your analysis is correct. The key is to unzip a folder higher than that. What that will then do is that the files will each go into the correct folders - language files to lang, module files to mod, and any block files to blocks. It will just add the new files to the ones already there (for existing modules, blocks etc).
Try unzipping into your moodle root folder.

Cheers,

MC
In reply to Myles Carrick

by Bruce Wellman -
Thank you.   The documentation for the other modules say to unzip them in the /mod folder so that is what I did.  Thanks for the help!  smile
In reply to Josh Bush

by Don Althaus -
Will this teacher plan module work with Moodle 1.7? If not is there one in the works?
In reply to Josh Bush

by Myrrh Lynn -
What's the latest news on this module? Is there a stable version compatible with 1.7 or 1.8 yet?