How to customise en_utf8

Re: How to customise en_utf8

by N Hansen -
Number of replies: 0
OK. By chance, I got some more information about what might be happening when I was fixing my essay question problem. To cut a long story short, I exported a table from my Moodle 1.5 database that contained some unicode characters and then reimported it into my Moodle 1.6 database using the import and export functions of PHPMyAdmin. The particular field with the unicode data was let to the Latin1_Swedish or whatever it is called. However, in the process of exporting (or was it importing), it gave me a choice of encoding, but not as specific as Swedish, so I just chose Latin1. When I went to look at a Unicode character on my Moodle site that should look like this (note you will only see this character properly in Firefox):

I instead saw a string of gibberish.

So I went into the database and found the following:

ḫ

So I tried changing this to an actual ḫ.

When I went back to look at it in Moodle, the ḫ had been replaced by ?.

Now I figured something had gone wrong in the import and so I went back to the original table, and found it had:

ḫ

Which is shown in Moodle as:

Now, the vague idea I get from this is that either ḫ is being converted to ḫ correctly during the unicode conversion but Moodle doesn't know how to handle printing that out as ḫ for some reason, and/or it is converting ḫ to ḫ, which it shouldn't be doing.