JPG Screen Capture Tool - ScreenPrint32

JPG Screen Capture Tool - ScreenPrint32

by Paul Norrod -
Number of replies: 5

Moodle never ceases to amaze with its intuitive features.  One of those features is that if you attach a graphic file to a forum post it is displayed inline with the text of the posting (Cool smile).  I teach IT related courses, so my students sometimes find it convenient to post a screenshot of a window or some other portion of their screen.  I instructed them that if they wanted to do this, the easiest way would be to do an Alt-Print Screen and then open Windows Paint (all of my students use Windows), and paste the image in there and then save it as a .jpg.  They could then attach the .jpg to their forum post.

Another student suggested a tool called ScreenPrint32 (http://screenprint32.com/software/screenprint32.asp) that allows you to do all sorts of things in relation to screen captures.  I and several of my students have it set up so that when I press Print Screen, it prompts me to select the area of the screen I want to capture. After doing that, it automatically saves the image as a .jpg with a unique date/time stamped name.  This makes it very easy to create those screen captures and then post them in a forum.

ScreenPrint32 is freeware (no strings attached) but it only runs on Win 98/ME, NT/2000/XP.  I just though some of you might be interested.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Paul Norrod

Re: JPG Screen Capture Tool - ScreenPrint32

by Tim Allen -

Paul,

Thanks a lot, this is the kind of tool I have just recently been wanting!  approve

Tim.

In reply to Paul Norrod

by John Gone -
Thanks Paul,
This tool actually does work as well as you say. I used to use a similar screen capture tool but it's no longer supported. This is much better and makes communication easier.

I'm in the middle of a nightmare right now that involves trying to talk a relative through video card install and config and immediately following that will be how to use Eyeball Chat and the associated config there. Then it'll be DV Cam config...  Lots of toys and an allergy to user manuals, bad combo.

Perfect timing Paul. Now it'll be a breeze...

Downside: It uses about 12Mb of RAM when it's running in the background

This is a screengrab of this post, before editing, and the entire process took about 15 seconds! YAHOO cool

Attachment SP32-20040126-111316.jpg
In reply to John Gone

by Paul Norrod -
John, since I don't use it very often, I don't leave it running (there is a checkbox in the configuration to not have it start with Windows).  If I have the need to make a screenshot, I just run ScreenPrint32 and when I am done, right-click the ScreenPrint32 icon in the system tray and exit it.  Of course, if you used it often you would want to leave it running in the background and would have to give up the 12MB of RAM and the machine cycles it takes up.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Norrod

by Art Lader -
I love open source and freeware tools, but Snagit (about $30.00 US)from www.techsmith.com is worth every penny for screen captures. It's just great.

-- Art Lader