What happened to quizzes?? After upgrading to 1.6

What happened to quizzes?? After upgrading to 1.6

by Zane Edwards -
Number of replies: 13
I cannot edit the quiz questions or do really anything after upgrading to 1.6. I thought this was a stable release? When I click on questions, or import, or export, all I get is a blank page!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zane Edwards

Re: What happened to quizzes?? After upgrading to 1.6

by Martin Dougiamas -
Piksa bilong Core developers Piksa bilong Documentation writers Piksa bilong Moodle HQ Piksa bilong Particularly helpful Moodlers Piksa bilong Plugin developers Piksa bilong Testers
Possibly you have some problem others don't have. Can you check your httpd or PHP logs or error messages?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Zane Edwards -
Well, that even makes things more interesting! I cannot access the Administration page. It goes to a blank page.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jim Rollo -
I have the same problem.  I get prompted to download a php file in FF when I try to edit an existing question.  In IE, I get page cannot be displayed.

In reply to Jim Rollo

by N Hansen -
I had this happen to me yesterday for a while, but not just the quizzes, all of my site where there was a php file to be accessed. At first it was intermittent but then it became constant. It kept wanting to open the php file with notepad. Now, I went to check in Windows what program the php file exetension was associated with. It for some reason had reset to Notepad, perhaps this was my own doing because I had opened a php file recently with Notepad. However, wierd things happened when I tried to associate the php file type with Firefox. When I clicked on that extension in the list, it told me it was another type, whatever the last other type I had accessed was. Furthermore, I looked at our other computer here, and php wasn't associated with any program. Anyway, I rebooted and it seemed to resolve itself, but the problem remains a mystery to me, so I can at least say you are not alone, but I suspect it may not be entirely a Moodle problem.
In reply to N Hansen

by N Hansen -
Someone else is having the same problem:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=49680

Maybe it happens after visiting a certain page? I'll give a look at my logs and see if I can see what I was accessing before this started.
In reply to N Hansen

by N Hansen -
It looks like I was reviewing a quiz when this started, or at least that is what I think I was doing-can't recall the time it happened exactly.
In reply to Jim Rollo

by Sigurdur Jonsson -
I've been having the same problem on one of my Moodle installations. I've installed the same version locally with no problems. Perhaps this has something to do with the server or the installation?

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=46413

regards,
S.Fjalar
In reply to Sigurdur Jonsson

by Paolo Oprandi -
I had a similar problem, but I am assuming it is because I am running PHP 5.04... I will let you know if the problem persists once I upgrade. See bug tracker.
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

by John Creed -
This appears to be a problem with the version of PHP we were running. I updated mySQL first and problem still existed. I then updated PHP to version 5.1.4.4 from version 5.04 and all is well now.
In reply to John Creed

by Tim Hunt -
Piksa bilong Core developers Piksa bilong Documentation writers Piksa bilong Particularly helpful Moodlers Piksa bilong Peer reviewers Piksa bilong Plugin developers
PHP 5.0.x is known to be broken. I thought that trying to install Moodle gave a warning about that.

Ahh! Of course, you are not installing it, you are upgrading, so no warning,
In reply to Tim Hunt

by N Hansen -
That doesn't explain it...because I've got 4.4.2 on my machine.
In reply to N Hansen

by Paolo Oprandi -
Nicole, I read this, although not conclusive about your PHP version.
Here are some update docs I found that don't appear to concur.
In reply to John Creed

by Jim Rollo -
PHP appears to be the culprit.  I was running 5.0.5; I loaded 4.4.0 and the problem stopped. wheh! that was a close one.