Hosting Using 1&1 Uk Version

Hosting Using 1&1 Uk Version

by Ed Huntsman -
Number of replies: 7
After careful consideration I have decided against teaching myself about servers......far too much effort! And could have problems further down the line. I have looked into using 1&1 as my hosting company on Linux based servers. At the moment I have Moodle configured on server 2003 with IIS 6.0

I think I will start on one of these smaller packages and increase as and when my site grows. Details below:

http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/Hosting;jsessionid=7E6661248FCBF3B844758D33182B0DD9.TC33a?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

Apparantly their servers run MySQL 4.0. Will this web host be ok to run moodle? I emailed them asking them and they say they have customers already with moodle installed on their servers. Also if so is it just a case of using ftp to upload my "moodle" file into the wwwroot file and it will work?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ed
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ed Huntsman

Re: Hosting Using 1&1 Uk Version

by Mark Berthelemy -
Hi Ed,

I use Hasweb (www.hasweb.com) for my hosting. It's a lot cheaper than 1&1 and they give you CPanel to control your server, which allows you to easily setup Cron etc.

Hasweb uses the Fantastico installation system, which will give you a basic install of Moodle very simply, not even any ftp'ing to do. ALthough the current version used is a bit behind the times. If you want Moodle 1.6 you'll need to do your own setup. Follow the instructions in the Moodle docs and you'll find it's very simple. (http://docs.moodle.org)

Mark
In reply to Mark Berthelemy

by Ed Huntsman -
Thanks for the help, but ideally I would like a host in the UK! Any suggestions for one here? The bonus with 1&1 they give you extra domain names and lots of email addresess which I need  smile
In reply to Ed Huntsman

by Mark Berthelemy -
Hi Ed,

Any decent hosting service will give you extra email addresses. Just be prepared to pay extra for hosting in the UK. US hosting is much cheaper.

Cheers,

Mark

by David Brighton -

Hi Ed

We have been using 1&1.co.uk for the last couple of years. What level of hosting are you looking at? We have Business package and it is ok, but does not include shell access nor a cron facility. Only has 2 mySQL databases so we do a bit of sharing. For £100 pa it is not too bad, provided you can overcome the cron issue

Cheers

David

by Rory Allford -
I used to host a Moodle site with streamline.net, who are basically direct resellers of FastHosts UK but significantly provide an "Unlimited" package for £44.99 + VAT advertised with uncapped data transfer, and capacity. They provided direct shell access and various other useful things, and as they're small gave near instant responses to all my messages.

However I did eventually find the limit to "unlimited" and got chucked off after deliberately seeing how far they would let me go (running a caching web proxy and mirror among other things blush), which I'm sort of regretting now that I'm paying Network Solutions shedloads.

A few moodle sites would be fine though. smile
In reply to Ed Huntsman

by Michael Hicks -
First post.

Hello, folks.

I wanted to jump into this discussion, because I am searching for answers myself.

I have attempted to set up moodle (is it pronounced the way it looks? moo-dul?) in a setup through 1&1 US, but when attempting to set up using XAMPP 1.5.1, I get this fatal error:

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'http://moodle.simmonscollegeky.org/moodle/moodle/lib/xmlize.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /homepages/22/d162321337/htdocs/html/moodle/moodle/lib/environmentlib.php on line 35

On top of that, a 1&1 tech representative told me that because moodle requires 4.1.16, and their server run MySQL 4.0, that I will not be able to properly set up the framework through our web spaces. Any alternative suggestions?
In reply to Michael Hicks

by David Brighton -
We are using 1&1 for the moment using their business level package. We have two databases, one that was installed when we first started this account about 5 years ago. It is version 4, but we also have a database that is MySQL version 5.0.19 which was added when we upgraded our contract type last year. I am told that this new version is the standard version for all 1&1, but it should make alarm bells ring that their support does not seem to know. We did have a problem with the php version so 1.6 initially would not install on 1&1 and Eloy provided the answer in this forum http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=46400.

Good luck.