Quiz Module Hacks List: Complete?

Quiz Module Hacks List: Complete?

autor Timothy Takemoto -
Počet odpovedí: 22

On another forum on another course (Cource for Language teachers) I made a list of the hacks and additions for the Quiz module since I was loosing track of things myself. Apologies to all those that I have missed.

In alphabetical order, by first name

Alvin Shaffer has hacked Bernard's Hack below so that it is now possible to allow dependencies on less than 100% quiz scores.

Bernard Boucher's activity linking hack which enables us to make taking a quiz dependent upon having taken a preliminary quiz, or having viewed a preliminary resource. It can also be used to password protect quizzes - just by creating a quiz with an answer which is a password, and then making taking another quiz dependent upon that.

Chris U's timer hack, now downloadable from here is an old favourite, but use Injana Dzons hack of this hack (below) and Paul Norrod's hack of this hack for cross Browser portability.

Injana Dzon's hack  seperate time for each quiz hack making Chris U's hack capable of integrating them into Moodle (so that for example, each quiz can be set with a different time limit).

John Bristor's (now sadly unavailable) complete online exam hack (or add on) allowed timing and extensive cheat-protection. John Bristor is no longer a member of "Using Moodle."

Paul Norrod's portability improvement to Chris U's hack so that it is compatible with non I.e. Browsers. 

Paul Shew's GIFT General Import Format Technology, which is an extension of Thomas Robb's missing word import filter, and Henrik Kaipe's numerical quiz import filter, and much more, so that now it is possible to import any form of question from the same text file. Wow!

Paul Shew's mass question delete workaround, just a little line of SQL, which will save you big the problem of pressing those little x's many times.

Raffaele Nicolussi non-expiring quiz hack that allows us to set up quizzes with no expiry date. 

Rob Butner's copy prevention hack, for preventing students from printing out quiz pages. Just one of the results of opening the header page that Rob provides is that while that page is open it keeps on emptying the clipboard. So as long as a quiz is in progress, it is impossible to do any copying at all. This is a pretty powerful script! Be warned!

Scott Elliott's Blackboard style question import filter, which is now a part of the standard Moodle install I believe.

Thomas Robb's wonderfully detailed detailed quiz report plug in.

Thomas Robb's delete attempt x-hack which is now included, with some modification, in the most recent development versions of moodle.

For the future

Martin's poll of most wanted quiz features, some of which overlap with the functionality of the hacks listed above and below.

Bernard Boucher is working adaptive quiz (questions and feedback based on previous questions and answers) technology.

Frederict Triquet is working on an offline quiz addition for the quiz to allow students to take a quiz home, work on it, export their answers to XML and then have a revised version of attempt.php upload those stored answers into the Moodle database.

Grant McWilliams is working on a hack for allowing the importation of hot potatoes quizzes such that their results might be ported back into the moodle database. This would be great because there are a lot of hot potatoes quizzes just waiting to be Moodled.

Grant McWilliams may also be working on a one question per page hack which he has implemented using Javascript.

Thanks too all these kind people, and Martin, - all your work is, or will be extrememly useful to me.

Cheers,

Timothy

Timothy Takemoto

Priemer hodnotení : -
V odpovedi na Timothy Takemoto

Re: Quiz Module Hacks List: Complete? Fat chance

autor Timothy Takemoto -

Thomas Robb's increase maximum number of matching answer questions hack, which enables us to set more than the present limit of 10.

Re: Quiz Module Hacks List: Complete? Fat chance

autor Ger Tielemans -
  • Make the short answer input field 100 chars wide for questionaries
  • ..and we want the "multi-percent" back in the menu for creating print-outs of the summarized answers in that questionaire (layout could be better knipoog )
  • How to get a picture on the left of a set of matching pairs

Re: Quiz Module Hacks List: Complete?

autor John Bristor -

--> John Bristor is no longer a member of "Using Moodle."  <--

Did I get kicked out?   Sorry,  life got in the way.  Life has a habit of doing that sometimes.

V odpovedi na John Bristor

autor John Bristor -

I've been thinking (a dangerous activity in my case).

I have almost got caught up on my reading in this forum and seeing the different requests outstanding, I think it may be best to create another module called 'exams'. 

I had a particular need to have a several 100 question exams, that was fairly secure,  where every user is given a seperate key for each exam and is exclusive of other students.  Emails to notify the user of their Key and  emails sent to the teacher when a user started the exam and and when it ended with their score (also used for sending certificates if they passed).

I see other people are working on certain items, but I believe there is a need for what I will call 'simple quizzes' versus 'exams'.  If you try to make one module handle everything and every configuration, it could become to confusing for the user during set-up.  Both modules would feed off the same question and category databases, but the two modules could diverge into their own respective specializations.

Just a thought and let me know what you think.  Timothy , I will be emailing you the initial code,  from which  you can start working. Then I'll work at doing things in a more formal manner.

autor Timothy Takemoto -

Dear John

Welcome back! (Membership times-out after one month of absence I believe. )

I look forward to recieving the initial code.

I hope that it will be okay to share it with everyone.

With regard to setting up a new 'exam' module... You may well be right. This suggestion has been raised on the Language Teacher's Moodle Forum, since many language teachers are interested in increased testing capabilities, particularly security.  Please see particularly the forum here

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=1302

Again, bearing in mind the overall ethos of Moodle it might be better if the 'exam' module were to be in some way distinct.

Timothy

Timothy Takemoto

autor John Bristor -

I just sent the initial group of emails with attached code and  basic explanations.  More to come later.  Feel free to ask questions and anything I provide you are welcome to share.  With your comments and other moodle knowledge mayber we can come up with a way to 'standardize' some of this into a form that is acceptable for CVS purposes if  not a seperate module.

I actually have to do some other work on Moodle in the next two days.  That 'fullstat' report didn't work for my purposes as the exams I use are 100 random questions and that report, though nice, did not seem to work for random questions.  Plus 100 questions  did not work well in the format provided.  I have the need to dump out the entire database of questions (300+ so far) with number of correct vs incorrect, which of the random answers were correct/incorrect to gauge if some questions over time are to easy or difficult. I'll attempt to get it working then making it a truly standard moodle plugin.

I also have to add the ability to mark questions in the master database as 'disabled'. I can't delete questions if no longer used or if one changes as to preserve the history for historical and statistical purposes.  Thus I just need to mark a question as disabled, so it is not randomly chosen but is still available for historical reporting. 

autor Bernard Boucher -
Hi John,
your return give the real sense to the last word of Timothy topic nameMrnutie

I think that the exam module will be easier to create, install and to maintain and it will help to keep Moodle more stable without hacking to many things.

Thanks for your work,

Bernard

p.s. I am also interested to test when you will be ready.

V odpovedi na Bernard Boucher

Exam Module Development?

autor Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Bernard,

You asked when the exam module will be ready.

Mr. John Bristor has sent his installation's files to me (some 10 or so) and suggested that I think of ways of pulling them together for a Moodle Module, and then get back to him.

The immediate stumbling point seemed to be the fact that some of them are files from the sacred libraries of Moodle (particularly weblib.php), which remain sacred until Moodle 2.0 comes out. All the same though it seems possible to give these changed weblib functions a complete different name and replicate the code in a new modules lib.php? I wonder if there will be some kind of clash caused by inconsistencies between the heretic functions and the functions that they call.

Mr. Bristor is clearly very busy. He said that he might be able to "help" but basically I think that it is up to us to pull this and all the other hacks together.

And I am pretty useless, other than as an compiler of lists.

Mr. Bristor says that the files are to be shared, but sent them by email because, I presume, that in their present condition he would be showered with questions about how to implement them. I also think that the titles/headers specific to his employer's site should be removed. Or generally they need to be brushed up prior to general publication.

I think I should start by by mailing them to interested skilled parties by email....Bernard? Paul? Gordon?

Tim
Timothy Takemoto

Re: Exam Module Development?

autor Bernard Boucher -
Hi Timothy,
your answer make things more clear for meMrnutie

1 - If Jonh don't have time to mainain or fit it modified quiz to Moodle 1.2 then, if you send me a copy with Jonh autorisation, I will check how many time it require and may be do it myself if possible and keep it as a hack.

2 - For your The immediate stumbling point it is not necessary a big problem. Mike give a certain way to lesser it and in activity linking .4 I do it an other way.

3 - For having a new module or not it depend more on who will do it than the features we want. If we clone Martin with successbig grin then no problem the features will be added to the real quiz without any problem for Moolde or delay.

But if clonage don't work perfectly and the clone is as slow and as defective as methoughtful, it is better to have a second module ( exam or any name you want ) that will start with and integral copy of the current quiz module slowly hacked and tested. At the end that module may become the new quiz module.

Bye,

Bernard

Re: Exam Module Development?

autor John Correly -
I would be interested in seeing the code. Would it be possible to get a copy of Mr. Bristor's modifications? I understand that other than the modifications to the moodle standard library most of the changes are to the Quiz module alone. As has been mentioned on the stumbling block thread it should not be too difficult to move the modified portions to include files in the quiz directory.

autor Paul Shew -
Thanks for making this reference list. It's very helpful.

I also like the idea of exams, but I'm not yet convinced that it needs to be an entirely seperate module.

I administered the final exam for a class using Moodle this semester (just finished last week), and it worked very well. In my case, I reserved a computer classroom for the exam, so I did not need any special anti-cheat features. I used two quizzes and one journal for the essay questions (splitting the exam into three parts). I gave the students the option to write out the essay question by hand if they prefer, but all of them (25 students) chose the online version.

I was a little worried about data security (backup). It would be good to have the grade (and maybe even all of the student answers) emailed to the teacher upon completion of the exam. The redundancy provided by such a system would make it a more robust exam platform.

Even so, just using the quiz module worked so well, I will probably use Moodle for most of my exams next year.

autor koen roggemans -
Obrázok: Core developers Obrázok: Documentation writers Obrázok: Moodle HQ Obrázok: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázok: Plugin developers Obrázok: Translators

Great list Timothy

I'd like to add a verry little hack of my own.

In cloze questions I print ?? where the inputfield is, becouse the students of a collegue have to choose between a space, a / and //. So with an empty inputbox, they think the space is already there!

13 Punten

Hij <??,  ,/,// > weet <??,  ,/,// >buitengewoon <??,  ,/,// > smakelijk <??,  ,/,// > te <??,  ,/,// > vertellen <??,  ,/,// > over <??,  ,/,// > wat <??,  ,/,// > hij <??,  ,/,// > toen ?<??,  ,/,// > allemaal <??,  ,/,// > heeft <??,  ,/,// > uitgehaald <??,  ,/,// > .

(Sorry, can't get my exaple properly in the editor, I've put the inputbox between <> and separated the options with a , :the questionmarks are the default options, second option is a space, tirth a/ and fourth a //. The questionmarks is meant to make the difference between the defaultoption (empty) and the space)

autor koen roggemans -
Obrázok: Core developers Obrázok: Documentation writers Obrázok: Moodle HQ Obrázok: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázok: Plugin developers Obrázok: Translators
Is there somewhere a hack arround to embed mp3-files in a quiz like it works in a resource (with the flash mp3-player)?
V odpovedi na koen roggemans

autor Bob Gettings -
For embedding sound:

Just typing the html code in the text box embed .... /embed worked for me but the spacing in the quiz was strange

embed src="http://www.ipc.hokusei.ac.jp/~z00323/classes/eigo1/sound/bob_intro.MP3" width="300" height="30" autostart="false"

Bob Gettings
V odpovedi na koen roggemans

autor Martin Dougiamas -
Obrázok: Core developers Obrázok: Documentation writers Obrázok: Moodle HQ Obrázok: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázok: Plugin developers Obrázok: Testers
You're in luck, Koen! Veľký úsmev

I whipped up a filter that will turn into into an embedded player.

Took me about 10 minutes - it's checked in already as filter/mediaplayer/mediaplayer.php.
V odpovedi na Martin Dougiamas

autor Martin Dougiamas -
Obrázok: Core developers Obrázok: Documentation writers Obrázok: Moodle HQ Obrázok: Particularly helpful Moodlers Obrázok: Plugin developers Obrázok: Testers
Two things:  Firstly, the filter has moved to filter/mediaplayer/filter.php (but upgrading should take care of the filter list).

And the plugin is now very . Úsmev
V odpovedi na Martin Dougiamas

autor koen roggemans -

Something 's wrong on my side: It takes forever to load the MP3-file (tried different servers, also your file is coming in verry slow. When I hit the link, it opens almost immediately in mediaplayertriest

So I haven't been able to test what happens if more than one link are on the same page.

Modification: works fine on Netscape 7.0, not in IE6. Anyone has the same/other experiences?