Confusion about Calendars

Confusion about Calendars

by C. Kirill Sokolov -
Number of replies: 5
Hello everyone,

I know there are some large threads on the calendar topic, but this is a more general question, so I didn't want to confuse those discussions..

It seems that the project (there is just one project being discussed, right?) is based somehow on WebCalendar (http://webcalendar.sourceforge.net/) -- right?

I'm thinking of installing webcalendar for scheduling of our faculty and staff. Should I wait till the Moodle calendar is ready? Should these be two unrelated applications at my school or would it be better for the two applications (i.e., scheduling in moodle and staff/faculty calendaring) to be distinct, separate applications and databases?

I'm sorry if this is very basic, but I don't want to spend a lot of time installing something right before the "killer app" for moodle is available. ;)

Thanks everyone,

Kirill Sokolov
St Vladimir's Seminary
Average of ratings: -
In reply to C. Kirill Sokolov

Re: Confusion about Calendars

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The Moodle calendar is not based on webcalendar ...

Moodle will have a completely new internal event/calendar system, started by Gustav with feedback from me, and it will have some default interfaces to this system (eg mini-calendars and event lists etc) which are being developed by Jon. approve

Moodle will also support external calendars through the use of plugins - Moodle is able to automatically add/modify/delete events in these external calendars. The first of these will be a webcalendar plugin, which is being developed by Gustav. approve
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Confusion about Calendars

by C. Kirill Sokolov -
I hope I haven't missed it somewhere in the forums, but I wonder if Gustav's "webcalendar plugin" is complete or nearing completion? I deployed webcalendar for our school, and sure would like to figure out how to integrate it with Moodle before September, if that's likely to happen..

I guess I'm saying "I'll help out any way I can."

K
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

iCal capability for Moodle?

by Gustav W Delius -

The quote from Martin's message: "The first of these will be a webcalendar plugin, which is being developed by Gustav. approve" is now outdated. After all of Jon's work I didn't see the point of continuing with the WebCalendar.

I think the most productive way forward would be to give Moodle complete iCal compatibility. I think this could be realized as a calendar plug-in. Some institutions already have chosen a calendar application and would like to be able to interface it to Moodle via iCal. Perhaps some institution could sponsor this development with moodle.com?

In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: iCal capability for Moodle?

by C. Kirill Sokolov -
I personally thing webcalendar could be a good partner with the Moodle calendar. It is modular enough, it seems to me, that you could have webcalendar running an entire institution and have the course calendars show up / work like "non-user calendars" in webcalendar.

That being said, I also like your idea about iCal compatibility. Are you talking about Moodle "publishing" to other calendars? Or vice-versa?

K
In reply to C. Kirill Sokolov

Re: iCal capability for Moodle?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, that was the original plan, and Moodle calendar does in fact include the hooks to allow little plugins that can update external systems. 

The webcalendar plugin would not be a big job, it just takes someone familiar with the structure of the webcalendar database.