Weekend Activity Registration

Weekend Activity Registration

by Jim Rothwell -
Number of replies: 0

I teach at Linden Hall School, a private girls' boarding school with around 120 students.  We are looking for a better way to allow students to register for weekend activities, without being able to register their friends or remove others from the list to make room for themselves.  We typically have 20 to 25 activity choices on a given weekend.

I have been playing around with using the quiz module for this, where we'd create a "quiz" each week that consisted of a single question with the ability to select several answer choices (each event they want to participate in) or a "quiz" where each event has a "yes I want to attend this" or "No thank you" response.  Then the student's name and their "quiz" results would be sent to the Residential Director who could create the list of those actually attending.

The things that I think are missing though is a time-stamp so activities can be filled on a first-come-first-served basis with overflow going on a waiting list, or a way to set a limit to the number that can sign up for a particular event.  It would also be wonderful if we could have the Residential Director get a list of who selected which choices, in time order, but that's probably asking a bit much from a quiz module.

Thomas Robb suggested that I take a look at the choice module, but the messages I've seen indicate that choices are limited to six options, which rather puts a crimp on how we can do the sign-ups when we run 20 to 25 activities each weekend.  We could seperate out in batches of 6 activities, but I'd rather just have a field of check boxes that the students can click on the activities they want to sign up for.

Now, I haven't tried playing around with choice yet to make it fit, but can I get the outputs sorted by choice and time-stamp order?  That is, everyone who selected "Grocery Trip, Fri, 3:15-4:15" in the order that they submitted their request so that we can just fill up the vans and the rest are put on a waiting list when the van capacity is full?

Also, is it possible to select more than one choice per question?  Sorry, I know I should probably try playing around with this myself, but I haven't had the time to get to it yet, and if these aren't possible, I'll keep trying to play with the quiz module.

Average of ratings: -