1.6 Can't find a host that supports version of mySQL

1.6 Can't find a host that supports version of mySQL

by Jeff Fila -
Number of replies: 12

Forgive me for not having the version numbers, but I can't find a host that currently uses the required version of mySQL for Moodle 1.6.

I've tried it on 3 hosts (aplus.net, rcthost.com, and 1&1) and I can't run the install on either because I get the error that the server is not running the correct version of mySQL. I have 1.5.4 running on these sites no problem.

Does anyone know of a host I can use (this is for a demo site) or a workaround?

Thanks...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Fila

Re: 1.6 Can't find a host that supports version of mySQL

by Steve Hyndman -

Bluehost will meet the requirements. I have shared account with them to run a 1.6 test site. I don't run any production sites there...just a test site.

Steve 

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Bhupinder Singh -

Could someone suggest a location to host a production environment Moodle with LAMS.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Bhupinder

In reply to Jeff Fila

by elearning edu -
Hi,
I was a Moodle partner and during that time I setup a moodle server at Atlanta USA.  I have clients currently using the hosting service from me. 
Yesterday I made the necessary reconfiguration of the server to support Moodle 1.6 I tested the working of the site and in fact I got a hosting request for Moodle 1.6 version and we successfully installed Moodle with a Joomla front end.
I will be happy to answer your questions and request you to mail me at
radius.consultancy@gamil.com
You may also visit
http://www.elearning.edu for additional information
Nagarajan
In reply to Jeff Fila

by N Hansen -
Another host that offers the necessary specs is the host I use, opensourcehost.com. They just moved me to a server with the necessary specs now and I am upgrading tomorrow. I've been with them two years now and have been very happy with their support.
In reply to Jeff Fila

by Sean S -
Site 5 has the necessary specs - (affiliates code embedded in link)
In reply to Jeff Fila

by Anthony Crooks -

I am currently hosted on 1&1.com

While installing 1.6, I got the message

database mysql version 4.1.16 is required and you are running 4.0.27 Check

In an enquiry sent to 1&1's Support Center regarding the version of mysql they were offering, I was directed to a FAQ: (http://faq.1and1.com/miscellaneous/17.html) which indicates they're using 5.0.16!

Anyone have any idea of what's going on?

Tony Crooks

In reply to Anthony Crooks

by Brett Drinkwater -
Seems strange that they dont believe you. mixed

Send them a copy of your phpinfo output to prove which version they have you on.

http://url_to_your_moodle_install/moodle/admin/phpinfo.php

If they don't want to help, find a host who will.

Cheers
Brett

In reply to Brett Drinkwater

by Anthony Crooks -

Thanks Brett, but when I tried that URL I got this:

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '../config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /homepages/19/d162830485/htdocs/moodle/admin/phpinfo.php on line 4

by Brett Drinkwater -
Your system doesn't seem to recognise that you need to login for admin.....strange.

OK, log in to your Moodle as administrator and go to the Admin menu, on 1.5 and previous you can scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see a PHPinfo button. Click this...... if you can't find the button, just past phpinfo.php? onto the end of your url  at the /admin/ point.

ie http://yourmoodle.com/moodle/admin/phpinfo.php

After it loads, scroll all the way down in the PHPinfo report and you will see the details for MySQL.  

You can also use phpMyAdmin from your hosting control panel, this will also give you your mysql version info.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Brett

In reply to Brett Drinkwater

by Anthony Crooks -

> You can also use phpMyAdmin from your hosting control panel, this will also give you your mysql version info.

I'm just wondering how I can do that. I've tried various options on the phpMyAdmin section of the CP, but to no avail.

1&1.com support now says (after I pushed them):

"Are you installing this to the shared server that we have? If so, then this will not be possible. You will need a dedicated server for this to be used."

Now, I was able to run 1.5, but not 1.6??? Something seems amiss here...

by Steve Hyndman -

Well there is your problem....the server you are on is running MySql 4.0.27.

They may be advertising 5, but I will bet that is only on new servers they are putting online.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Aidan Hammond -
We have a moodle sandpit with 99p.net, its just an account to play around with the new moodle without breaking our main installation... they have recently upgraded the server we are hosted on to 4.1.19-standard, I'm looking forward to having a play with 1.6... just need to find the time.

Give them an email, they may be able to set you up with something to have a play.

Aidan.