Learning standards: Learning Objects

Learning standards: Learning Objects

by Richard Treves -
Number of replies: 5

I read in a recent interview with Martin D that he didn't like the current obsession with Learning Objects.  I'm working on a project currently that demands that everything we write must be totally reuseable and its annoying me.  IMHO the ideas of reusability and metadata are important, if you're writing something that may be reused its important to think how you can make the content portable, however, insisting that you can't include any links to other learning objects at all (even if you put them in a form where they could be easily found and deleted if necessary) is getting in the way of me writing good content. 

IMHO Michael Feldstein has put it well in http://www.elearnmag.org/subpage/sub_page.cfm?section=4&list_item=5&page=1 

I'm fishing for arguments pro or against, I'd be interested what you think.

Richard 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Treves

Re: Learning standards: Learning Objects

by Steve Fisher -

I can understand why learning objects, standards, interoperability ertc etc all make sense, but in practical terms, I can find few legitimate examples where it is a genuine advantage. If you are in the business of selling courseware, then it may swing a sale because the client wants SCORM compliance - but few know what it means and even fewer, if any, use it.

If you are teaching/developing online at a "grassroots" level then you can do without it. Just because something is not a "learning object" with metadata etc doesn't mean it can't be used... eg somebody send me a zip backup of your Moodle course and I can use it.. or send me some good media/files etc and I can include it in my course. Content is too dynamic and is created by millions of authors now given the ease of production tools . To think that they will all conform to a standard (which one do you want to choose!!) is fictional. Who said content was king anyway?

In reply to Steve Fisher

by Enzian Baur -

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I am very new to learning object metadata standards and I've now come to the conclusion that the more i read about it the more confused i get about which one to use, e.g. dublin core, IEEE, which relates to LOM and SCORM - what's the difference, does it matter, and you use a combination of all????.  All I want to know is which standard should be used for LO if you want to share them with others ....(also which is the easiest to use).

Even if I could decide/work out which standard to follow, i am then faced with the task of finding practical examples (so that i can see for myself how to implement it) - finding an example is extremely difficult. I find it really odd that those who set standards (which they want everyone to use) do not make an extra effort in making it easier for mere novices (like myself) to follow and understand - surely the easier it is to follow the more people will comply

Now i've had my little moan, I will now ask very nicely if anyone has any suggestions/advice or links to resources which can help me.

smile

In reply to Enzian Baur

by Michael Klebl -
Hi Enzian,

errrrrrh - well, interoperability, metadata, dublin core, IEEE, LOM, Learning Objects, SCORM and so on - international standardization matters in e-learning are dazzling and confusing. Everything is on the move, some issues are discussed controversially, on other issues people can't even agree on basic terms.

I'm sorry, I can't give good pointers to resources overlooking the scene. But if you look at this article
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~elsaddik/abedweb/publications/architecture.pdf
you'll find the classification of standard issues in
- Metadata
- Content Packaging
- Learner Profile
- Learner Registration
- Content Communication

A classification of at least this type of concepts for standardization in e-learning is very useful, once you understood it. Actually, IMS Learning Design adds another feature, which is teaching-learning-process.

'Cause you live in the UK, CETIS might be your good point to start from: http://www.cetis.ac.uk/

Cheers Michael
In reply to Michael Klebl

by Enzian Baur -
Thanks Michael
I did already look at cetis - where i found out about Reload (which i've since found out our mle is not compatible with). I then got confused about which avenue to pursue, but i think you are right, as i am based in the uk i should get my pointers from cetis. thank you
Enzian
In reply to Enzian Baur

by Ger Tielemans -
Rule of Thumb: use Moodle for learning in groups, consider SCORM as a plugin for (more complex) individual exercises.