What is the recommended way for posting simple bugfixes?

What is the recommended way for posting simple bugfixes?

by Pavel Krejci -
Number of replies: 5
Hi All!
I hope this is the right forum. I've bumped into some minor bugs and I've found some simple ways of fixing them along the way.

The problem is, that I'm not too efficient neither with php nor with moodle, but I'de like to put them to the CVS for the sake of easier updating/upgrading (and maybe to help others too).

So, the question is this:
Should I post it as a bug and provide suggested fix in the bugreport (and hope sb. will review them and incorporate them)
OR should I apply for the cvs account?
OR...?

The bottomline is that I'm still not prepared to become a moodle developer wink

Thanx
-Pavel
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pavel Krejci

Re: What is the recommended way for posting simple bugfixes?

by N Hansen -
I would post it in the bug tracker. That way someone with more experience with Moodle can make sure it is ok before incorporating it. Also, sometimes bug fixes can affect other things without you realizing it so it is best someone with more knowledge make sure it won't have any negative effects. Also, there are things that some people consider to be bugs that others consider to be features so a fix may be better off applied only to your own installation.
In reply to Pavel Krejci

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Put a bug in the bugtracker.

Attach your fix as a patch (output from cvs diff).

In the summary of the bug, add the workds 'WITH PATCH' or something similar, to increase the chance that someone notices and checks it in for you.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Please Tim,
What is the difference between a diff and a patch?
Joseph
In reply to Pavel Krejci

by Just H -
Hi Pavel

As Nicole said, filing a bug report with your proposed fixes is probably the best and fastest way to go smile

H