Modified quickmail block

Modified quickmail block

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 4
Hi all, attached please find a modified quickmail block that hopefully you might find it useful (still haven't been tested thoroughly).

The original quickmail block from Humboldt did a great job, however, as we have classes that have 200+ students, the original "check box" GUI does not work for my university. So we modified the quickmail block to use the "side by side" two columns (select all / deselect all) type of GUI. Here is some quick installation instruction:

1. You have to install the Humboldt "quickmail" block first:
http://cdc.humboldt.edu/moodle/course/view.php?id=3&topic=2%20alt=Blocks
2. Then you unzip the attached quickmail_mod.zip into the same directory. We modified the email.php and email.html, and added mailer.php and mailer.html

That's it!

It works slightly different than the original quickmail block. Here are some quick notes:

1. Only "teachers" could use this quickmail block (which fit with our need better, as we don't want students to be able to do mass-emailing).

2. When you choose to use your own personal email client to send the message (such as Eudora or Outlook), it will set the mailto to instructor's email address, and BCC all the students.

Again, we haven't tested this block thoroughly so please help us test it and feedback/comments are always welcome! smile Hope some of you might find this block useful too!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: Modified quickmail block

by Art Lader -

Thank you for sharing this. I will try it out and let you know if I encounter any problems.

-- Art

by Wen Hao Chuang -
forgot to mention, another behavior that is different from the Humboldt code is that the attachment will not be kept on the server (which we think should be better). Also I forgot to attach the help file maillink.html (see attached) which should be put in the /lang/en/help/ directory (but I guess this is kind of trivial). Hope this helps. smile

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi Wen Hao

Your modification has one trap, ,if you select all users from one course, and it´s a course with many users, 99 prozent all server shows you a error, see follow:

Request-URI Too Large

Bye Andy

In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Thanks for reporting this. We noticed this issue to and are trying to fix it now. Will keep everyone updated. smile