Moodle Demographics Choice?

Moodle Demographics Choice?

by Shirley Crawford -
Number of replies: 2

Not sure if this is the right place to raise this or if it has been raised in another forum. 

In the Choice 'where are you using Moodle' there is no option for college so I chose other. 

I suspect there are a lot of colleges using Moodle especially in the UK, so the choice for 'other' may include responses from colleges (186).  This would then throw out the results if looking at the numbers of educational establishments who use Moodle. 

When you look at the results for 'what type of Moodle user are you' teachers number 363 and 71 other.

Shirley

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shirley Crawford

Re: Moodle Demographics Choice?

by N Hansen -
In American English, college is just a synonym for university. I don't know how you use it in the UK, but I strongly suspect it is not other.
In reply to N Hansen

Re: Moodle Demographics Choice?

by Steve Hyndman -

"In American English, college is just a synonym for university."

Well, not exactly. Typically, a university has a teaching and a research mission with a graduate school and usually consist of a collection of colleges that award graduate and undergraduate degrees.

A college is typically a part of a university or is a stand-alone institution that awards undergraduate degrees and may, but probably does not, have a major research mission.

College and University are often seen as synonymous, but in reality they are most often very different entities.

For example, I am currently employed in the "College" of Education at Eastern Kentucky "University". In August, I will be employed in the "Department" of Education at Georgetown "College"....Georgetown College and Georgetown University are two distinct and different institutions.

Steve