Upgrading MySql -- What are my chances for problems?

Upgrading MySql -- What are my chances for problems?

by Steve Hyndman -
Number of replies: 4

I have a dedicated server that hosts a few active moodle 1.5.3 installs and several WordPress blogs. I currently run php 4.3.11 and MySql 4.0.27 on the server. I've been debating trying to upgrade to MySql 4.1.16 so that I could updrade some of my Moodle installs to 1.6.

What are my changes of completely messing up my current Moodle and WordPress installs if I do this? Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Hyndman

Re: Upgrading MySql -- What are my chances for problems?

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hava a look at this http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrading-from-4-0.html to see what can go wrong and how you can prevent it or recover from it.

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Steve Hyndman -

Thanks Inaki...good information.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by James Phillips -
I did this recently. I tested a back-up on a bluehost account I use for testing to see if I was likely to get many mysql errors (they run a fairly new version of mysql). I got quite a few, so I ended up asking my provider to carry out the upgrade and iron out any of the errors on the way. They did this and now it all works fine. If I had tried to do it myself I would probably still be doing it now . . .

In reply to James Phillips

by Steve Hyndman -

Thanks James...I did set-up a bluehost account a few days ago to use as a test site. They are running 4.1.18 on the server I'm on, so it may be a good idea for me to upload a couple of my databases there to see what happens.

I'm sort of in a dilemma at the moment...I have some production installs working fine on my server and I have two new accounts that I need to set-up within the next week on that server. I would like to set-up one of them as a 1.6 site from the start, but I'm weary about upgrading MySql. But, if I'm going to upgrade, then I need to do it this summer while things are quite....in the fall when school starts back it will be too late and I won't have time.

Oh well....we'll see what happens.