Upgrading to 1.5.4 on my ISP - question

Upgrading to 1.5.4 on my ISP - question

by Jim Burnard -
Number of replies: 12

Hi folks,

I'm very new at this...  I have an older version of Moodle running on my ISP.  I don't have any data I care to back up or anything, maybe just a theme or two.  Can someone direct me to what folders/files I need to upload and replace?  I've been reading http://docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrading but honestly things like

mv moodle moodle.backup
tar xvzf moodle-1.1.tgz

are greek to me. 

Since I'm not worried about losing anything at this point can I just upload the appropriate files to the correct directories and then go to the admin page to start the upgrade?

Sorry so lost... hopefully that will change soon!  Thanks in advance!

Jim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Burnard

Re: Upgrading to 1.5.4 on my ISP - question

by Steve Hyndman -

Jim,

The short answer is Yes.

Just rename your current moodle directory to something else then upload your new moodle directory and rename it what your old directory was named. Then copy over your config.php file from the old directory and visit moodle/admin.

That should do the trick....copy over any themes if you want to use them in your new install.

Once you are sure your new install is working, then you can safely delete your old directory....I usually keep my old directory just in case I forget some hacks.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Jim Burnard -
Thank you much Steve!
In reply to Jim Burnard

by Jim Burnard -

Hhmm, well I did the above, went to the admin page and got this message....  any thoughts?

Warning: main(): Unable to access /home/burnardw/public_html/ecaptain/lib/setup.php in /home/burnardw/public_html/ecaptain/config.php on line 15

Warning: main(/home/burnardw/public_html/ecaptain/lib/setup.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/burnardw/public_html/ecaptain/config.php on line 15

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/home/burnardw/public_html/ecaptain/lib/setup.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/burnardw/public_html/ecaptain/config.php on line 15

I didn't change anything in the config.php file because I thought since I re-named the new directory the same as the old one was it would just find everything.

Thank you for reading.

Jim

In reply to Jim Burnard

by Steve Hyndman -

It looks like a directory permissions problem. I have run into this from time to time. If you are using cpanel, I've found the best way to do this is upload the moodle zip file and unzip it from file manager....that seems to keep the directory permissions correct. I've had problems in the past when I unzip on my computer and then upload....except on a win server, then it seems I have to unzip on my local machine and then upload...go figure mixed.

Steve

by Daniel Deventer -

Hi

Yes i uploaded the Zip to the server and then extracted to i should be ok cause its a linux server. So why does this still happen ?

In reply to Daniel Deventer

by Steve Hyndman -

Good question...without access to your server, I wouldn't be able tell. Maybe someone else has a suggestion. If you want to contact me via email or pm and give me access to your server, I'll be happy to take a look at it for you.

Steve

by Jim Burnard -
Thank you again Steve, I'll give that a try and post my luck! smile
In reply to Jim Burnard

by Jim Burnard -

Hi again Folks,

Well, I tried using file manager in cpanel to extract the .zip and still errors.  Here's what they are:

Warning: main(): Unable to access /lib/adminlib.php in /home/burnardw/public_html/ecaptain/moodle/admin/index.php on line 10

Warning: main(/lib/adminlib.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/burnardw/public_html/ecaptain/moodle/admin/index.php on line 10

Warning: main(): Failed opening '/lib/adminlib.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/burnardw/public_html/ecaptain/moodle/admin/index.php on line 10

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: check_php_version() in /home/burnardw/public_html/ecaptain/moodle/admin/index.php on line 15

Do you think this is still a permission issue?  Should I be contacting my ISP?  Sorry to keep asking about this but I'm getting nowhere fast!  Thanks for any thoughts.

Jim

In reply to Jim Burnard

by Jim Burnard -

Just an update...  I sent that error message to my ISP as well, they said that it's simply referring to a file that isn't there (adminlib.phh) - Shouldn't that have shown up when I extracted the new version of Moodle?

Thanks again

In reply to Jim Burnard

by Steve Hyndman -

Yes, it should be there. Take a look and see if it's there...you should find it at moodle/lib/adminlib.php

In my install the permissions on the adminlib.php file is 0644 and the permission on the lib directory is 755 (this is pretty standard on all files and folders with just a few exceptions)

If that file is not there, then maybe your zip didn't completely extract.

Steve

by Jim Burnard -

Hi Steve,

Again, many thanks.  I just got it to at least start the install with no errors.  I just re-extracted it and all was well. 

I'm finally making progress!  Thanks again!

Jim

In reply to Jim Burnard

by Jim Burnard -
Just FYI, when I try to use my old config.php I start getting errors again.  Must be even though I didn't change anything it still is pointing to things that aren't there.  For now I'll just start over since I didn't have much to convert over anyway.   - Making my way through the learning curve..........