Hiding content on course homepage

Hiding content on course homepage

by Tim Williams -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Plugin developers
I've got some courses with large numbers of resources, mostly content pages. The homepages for these courses are far too large, so I would like to be able to hide some of these resources so that the front page only shows a summary of the main sections, with the full list of resources only in the drop down box that you get in the top right when viewing resource content.

I would use the 'hide' links which moodle makes available but this seems to make the content inaccessible to normal users, is there any way to hide just the link and not the entire resource ?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Williams

Re: Hiding content on course homepage

by Tim Williams -
I'm assuming the lack of a response means this can't be done, so i'll put it up as a feature request in the relevant place, unless I manange to work out a patch to get moodle to do what I want myself.
In reply to Tim Williams

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tim, every user can "zoom in" on a section using the white boxes in the right corner of each one.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tim Williams -
That's not really what I was getting at, I want to be able as the course tutor/administrator to set what is and is not displayed on the main course home page.

eg Instead of seeing

Section 1
Stuff 1
Stuff 2
Stuff 3

Section 2
Stuff 1
Stuff 2
Stuff 3

Section 3
Stuff 1
Stuff 2
Stuff 3

you would simply see the following on the main course page

Section 1
Section 2
Section 3

It occurs to me that the zoom function could be used as a way of viewing the full content of any individual section and all of the resources within each section would still be visible on the drop down box.
In reply to Tim Williams

by Sean Keogh -

This is similar in concept to something we talked about way back when, over in bugs. I asked about a way of having sub-folders within topics for logically dividing content.

I think someone else then came up with the idea of making the sub-sections collapsible, so you would have an overview of a topic showing:

TOPIC NUMBER 1
+ Section 1
+ Section 2
+ Section 3
+ Section 4

...and so on, and when the user clicked on the +, you would get something like this:

TOPIC NUMBER 1
+ Section 1
+ Section 2
+ Section 3
-Item 1
 Item 2
 Item 3
 Item 4
+ Section 4

That would be very helpful for us, as we have a course with a very large number of resources.

However Martin is only one guy, (I hear the cloning didn't work) wink so it hasn't happened yet. He is a busy chap.

Oxford Beardie
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Yes, this someone's name is Sean Keoghwink

Just an idea - since activities can be indented to create a structure of a topic, maybe this indentation could serve as the basis for these expandable sections? What is needed is just one course setting:

show all activities VS show indented activities as (collpsed) subsections.

Let's watch the advances of genetics, but if scientists don't come up with a reasonably-priced cloning technology within the next few weeks, maybe someone else than Martin would be willing/ready/able to pick this idea up?

Czestochowa Beardie
In reply to Tim Williams

by Tim Williams -
I know this is an old thread, but i've finally gotten around to doing something about this ! I've written a simple patch which can be applied moodle 1.2.1 which will enable the page links within topics to be hidden, but still showing all of the topic titles, along with a clickable 'show content' link which will expand the section to show all of the links.

What you used to get :
Topic name
page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4

What you now get :
Topic name
+ Show Content

Clicking show content will give you :
Topic name
- Hide Content
page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4

I've put a tar.gz file containing the diff's for this patch on the moodle pages of my projects website, http://www.autotrain.org/misc/source/moodle/, but it would be nice to see this integrated into the main source tree. The current patch is only for the topics course format ('cause that's the only one I use, but it should be trivial to extend it to the other formats) and has hardcoded logic which decides which bits should and should not be collapsible.