Martin D, Einstein and Newton....

Martin D, Einstein and Newton....

by Roger Emery -
Number of replies: 7

Wondered if anyone has seen this presentation...
http://www.blackboard.com/Resources/BbWorld/Presentations_2006/050906_Highland_0900_Salmon_Gilly.ppt

Slide 27 has a reference to Martin Dougiamas:
http://www.blackboard.com/Resources/BbWorld/Presentations_2006/310,27,Martin Dougiamas

I was asked something like who do I admire in education and technology and without any consideration for history, timeframe or context I gave my answer.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roger Emery

Re: Martin D, Einstein and Newton....

by Tony Hursh -
I'll bet Martin is biushing furiously right now. smile

You're a brave man for doing this at a Bb conference. Heh.
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Roger Emery -
I didn't present it or attend the conference, just gave an opinion to someone sometime ago...

not sure if I should be apologising or not? mixedwide eyes
In reply to Roger Emery

by Charlie Wilson -
They should have done their research i would feel no guilt. 
In reply to Roger Emery

by David Scotson -

Interesting slideshow. Did anyone attend? I'd be interested in a summary of what was actually said, particularly the point of (and reaction to) the placing of Martin in such an esteemed line-up in front of an audience of BB users and employees. Maybe even an audio recording is available?

Interestingly some people think that "standing on the shoulders of giants" quote (slide 9) was actually a pointed insult invoking Hooke's short stature, therefore ruling him out of the list of people Newton claimed to have built on and so denying him due credit for his discoveries.

Salmon's line on the Darwin slide that she hopes Blackboard will evolve from "so simple a beginning" seems a cutting remark of almost equal subtleness.

In reply to Roger Emery

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
blush Thanks, Gilly Salmon! blush
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Andy Diament -

Interestingly, I Ms Salmon speak at the start of April bemoaning the lack of a single figure or killer app to grab people's attention for learning on the web, in the same way as amazon/myspace etc have done in their repsective spheres.

So, perhaps you can expect more of this.........

Andy D