Topics format numbering

Topics format numbering

by Stuart Anderson -
Number of replies: 10
Hi All,

I have a trivial suggestion for the Topics Format.  It would be nice to have the option to toggle whether topic numbers are displayed or not.  I'm fairly knew to Moodle, but I'm aware that earlier versions 1.5 did not number topics by default.

There plenty of situations where I would like to present a series of topics that could be tackled in any order.  With the topic numbering enforced by default, order is implied whether needed or not.  I would rather set my own titles as a Moodle Label.  Without numbering, students are more inclined to explore and dip into topics as needed, thereby removing some of the rigidity that most courses have.

May be such a toggle would put optionally put numbers into the topics format view and week numbers into the week view?

This may be something I could look at myself in 6 months or so, but at the moment I am busy with the task of getting/convincing my department at Uni of Manchester to use Moodle to support their courses.

Has anyone else suggestion this option or even working on it, possibly even for the 1.6 release?? wink

Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stuart Anderson

Re: Topics format numbering

by Ger Tielemans -
make a clone of the topis format and remove the numbers. save it under another name. (YOUR IDEA IS MORE ELEGANT)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Muthu Kumar -
Hello Ger Tielemans,

What do you mean by making a clone of the topics format ? Can you explain that? Please.

Thanks much in advance.

Regards,
Muthukumar
In reply to Muthu Kumar

by Ger Tielemans -

copy the folder /course/format/topics to /course/format/topicsNO

edit format.php in /topics/
97   echo '<td class="left side">&nbsp;0</td>';
191  echo '<tr id="section-'.$section.'" class="section main'.$sectionstyle.'">';echo '<td class="left side"> &nbsp; </td>';

edit format.php in /topicsNO/
97   echo '<td class="left side"> &nbsp; </td>';
191  echo '<tr id="section-'.$section.'" class="section main'.$sectionstyle.'">';echo '<td class="left side">'.$section.'</td>';

You have now two formats one with numbers, one without

Add also language string

$string['formattopicsNONR'] = 'Topics without numbers format';
$string['nametopicsNO'] = 'topic NO Nr.';

to the language-file: moodle.php

to avoid formattopicsNO

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Dave Balch -
Seeing as there seems to be some interest in the non-numbered format* perhaps we should add that format to the Moodle release.

* We've been calling it "unmarked" in our office, removing the heading block as well as the numbering.
In reply to Dave Balch

by Sacha Brostoff -
D Balch, Hi!

This sounds great! How did you remove the heading block as well?

Sacha

In reply to Stuart Anderson

by Muthu Kumar -
Hello Stuart,

Have you removed the numbers in the Topics format ? I am also in a situation to remove the numbers in my courses,which are set to topics format.

Please, let me know how you achieved that.

Thanks much in advance.

Regards,
Muthukumar
In reply to Muthu Kumar

by Neil S -
You could do something in your theme -- to 'hide' the numbers on the left side of the topic. This obviously doesn't take the numbers out of the various select form fields. But it also doesn't require any code changes beyond the css smile

#course-view .section td.left {
font-size:0px;
}

This can be further refined to match one particular type of course -- but not others.

Moodle Themes can do a lot. A carefully crafted javascript in the theme could modify the drop down menus as well.

Cheers,
ns
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Neil S

by Muthu Kumar -
thanks ns for the suggestion.smile

i have followed this and works fine.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=54661

regards,
muthukumar
In reply to Muthu Kumar

by Marios Katsis -

You can add font-color: #FFFFFF in the styles_layout.css, like this

#course-view .section .side {
  padding:5px;
  border-style:solid;
  border-width:1px;
  color: #FFFFFF;
}

In reply to Marios Katsis

by Dix Huit -
Presuming that the background is also set to #fff.

I think that font-size: 0px; is a more robust solution.