Importing from Word

Importing from Word

by Michael Glover -
Number of replies: 11
I am trying to setup a school newsletter using wiki module in our moodle site.
A newletter has already been created in MS Word with text & pictures.
I have tried Copy Paste it into the Editor. The text and formatting is transferred but there is a space where the picture are suppose to be.
Does anyone know a way of transferring pictures into wiki from a word file?

Mike
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Glover

Re: Importing from Word

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Michael,

if you upload the image to the course files area and update the links using the Insert Image  icon you should be fine...

Ray

p.s. pasting directly from MS Word  is not great. If you can paste the text into a  an intermediate program to remove the beastly Word formatting  you will find it better in the long run.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Michael Glover -
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the quick reply smile
Most of the documents have embedded pictures so I will have to copy into Paint I guess.
Would Dreamweaver be a good intermediate program to use, so I still keep the formatting?

Mike

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi,

I was thinking more of Notepad as the intermediate program and then applying the formatting in Moodle (with the HTML editor or just HTML).

Ray

by Josep M. Fontana -
Actually, how about using OpenOffice as an intermediate program? Write opens word documents (with all their beastly formating) seamlessly most of the time. Then you can export them to clean HTML. Perhaps after using OpenOffice write you realize you don't even need Word anymore smile

Josep M.
In a preaching mode, today
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Ray Lawrence -
Yes, but I can't recall if OO is available at Michael's school.

Fair point though.

by Michael Glover -
Hi Josep,

Sorry for the delay, my school has been without the internet all day sad

Yes, the school is starting to use StarOffice and I am a very big fan of OpenOffice and been using it for over a year now.
I will try exporting out to HTML. I have been toying with the idea of export the newsletter out as PDF (as OpenOffice has this feature and MS Word don't tongueout)
I would therefore just upload and link the file in the wiki.
Thanks for your advice smile

Mike

by Josep M. Fontana -
Let us know how it works. I usually don't preach too much (I use some other MS products myself, Excel or PowerPoint, for instance -- although Impress is impressing me more and more) but I find Word to be SUCH a hideous application. Now if a colleague sends me a .doc document, it goes straight to OO so that I don't have to go through the usual frustration I experience with Word. I still work with WordPerfect, though. I still like it better than OO smile.

Josep M

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
If you copy & paste text from word or any other program in your desktop you'll have (more or less pretty) a version of what you had on ms word, but the images will have to be uploaded to the server. If you save your word to html (or througth openofice or other stuff) you'll get a bunch of gig, png and jpg files... you sholud upoload this files into you course filesystem and then manually correct the images in your htmleditor. If there are a lot of images this will be tedious but.. will work. Maybe someday we dfwikiteam will build a bridge between OO and dfwiki.
Regards
Ludo
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Josep M. Fontana -
> Maybe someday we dfwikiteam will build a bridge between OO and dfwiki.

That would be awsome!

Josep M.

by Keith Richardson -
1/ I am exploring setting up a wiki for my students to develop as a group their understanding of Project Management concepts.
2/ In the process I discovered that pictures can be included in their submissions (plus graphics, audio, video etc) if you "allow binary files" in the initial wiki setup.
3/ On the question of how to 'extract' embedded pictures from a word document - I use two methods
(a) quick and nasty, but results seem OK - set the display magnification in Word as high as possible so that the Word images look big, then screen capture and save as jpg - I use IrfanView Capture - free to private and educational users.
(b) you can force Word to release its embedded images (including any drawings you created with Word Draw - but group them first) by first saving the Word document as a webpage (don't shudder, I do not use the crappy text) - you will find that the pictures are saved as separate image files as you would expect for any html page. You then can do whatever you wish with the image files.

Hope that is of some help.

by Marcel Mateescu -
I have developed a method to copy and paste from Word to Moodle, including images.
here http://amgd.ro/docs/data/w2m.zip

The requirements are:
1. you have a webserver accessible in your netword as a windows share (ex. a Windows machine or a samba linux share)
2. you use a different domain for your images storage than your base moodle install (it still can be the same computer, use a subdomain ex media.mymoodle.org)

If your Moodle deployment is (as it usually happens) on a server at your university/school, the two statements above hold.