Need help and more info about JAVA installation in Windows

Need help and more info about JAVA installation in Windows

by W Page -
Number of replies: 1

Hello!

I hope someone can help me with this.  

I am running Win98 on a computer.

I am really pitiful in my Java knowledge.  I am at the trying to learn and play around with stage.  I will try to ask my questions more specifically.

• I know they may seem "baby" like but I am confused. I have already installed the latest version of "JRE" on the computer. Infact I saw in the "Add/Remove" window that I have 3 different versions of JRE installed,
    Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.1_02
    Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_01
    Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_02
    Question: Can I remove the two earlier versions?

I want to play a bit in the code of a chatroom called
Babylon Java Chat
http://visopsys.org/andy/babylon/

• Question: Do I have to DL the SDK and install it on my Win98 system to be able to work with the Java code? If so, which one do I download and install? On the SUN Java page (http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html) there are two windows versions,
    J2EE v 1.4 with J2SE v 1.4.2_02
    J2SE v 1.4.2_03 JRE SDK
    Question: Which of these would be the correct one to download and install.

I already have Apache 1.3.27 - PHP 4.3.3 - MySQL 4.0.15 - PhpMyAdmin 2.5.3 installed via the "easyPHP" software (http://easyphp.org).  This is prepackaged server software.

• Question: Does the Java software self install?
  • Question: Do I have to make some adjustment in the "Autoexec.bat" file for the Java scripts to work"?
  • Question: Do I have to install something into the "www" folder in the "easyPHP" directory to get the Chat Room to work inside of the websites I have working on the computer?

Thanks again in advance for any help the MOODLE community can give me about this.  I am really a novice when it comes to Java.

WP1

Average of ratings: -
In reply to W Page

Re: Need help and more info about JAVA installation in Windows

by Huib van Wees -
HI,

Question: Can I remove the two earlier versions?
Answer: Yes you can, they are installed in seperate directories and only the latest installed will be used. So the others have no sense.

Question: Do I have to DL the SDK and install it on my Win98 system to be able to work with the Java code?
Answer: You need at least an JRE (Jave Runtime Environment) to run java programs (scripts/applets).

Question: Which of these would be the correct one to download and install.
Answer: Sorry I don't know the answer to this question.

Question: Does the Java software self install?
Answer: Not sure what you mean by this, but Jave code or applets from a website will run automaticaly if a working JRE is installed.

Question: Do I have to make some adjustment in the "Autoexec.bat" file for the Java scripts to work"?
Answer: Nope, autoexec.bat has no influence on Java scripts.

Question: Do I have to install something into the "www" folder in the "easyPHP" directory to get the Chat Room to work inside of the websites I have working on the computer?
Answer: Sorry don't know, I don;t use easyPHP But I don't think so, Java will be downloaded by the client browser and then run at the client side. You need Java at the serverside when you run servlets.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Huib