Problems Installing the Hot Potatoes Module

Problems Installing the Hot Potatoes Module

by Gerald Grow -
Number of replies: 6
Hello, Gordon and all: Newbie to Moodle here,  but experienced with Hot Potatoes and some of Gordon's work there.

In installing the Hot Potatoes module into the latest Moodle, I follow the directions to the point of "TO USE THE HOTPOT MODULE," where the directions read:

5. On the main page for the Moodle course, confirm editing is turned on (click the "Turn editing on" button) then select "ADD / Hot Potatoes XML Quiz".

At that point, I cannot find ADD or anything that reads "Hot Potatoes XML Quiz."

Where should "Hot Potatoes XML Quiz" appear? In the "Add an activity" pulldown?

What should I do if it doesn't appear?

Thanks,

Gerald Grow

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Grow

Re: Problems Installing the Hot Potatoes Module

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Gerald,
welcome to Moodle!

After you turn editing on, you should see an "Add an activity" menu in each section of the course. On that menu, you should see "Hot Potatoes Quiz" (please see attached screen shot)

If "Hot Potatoes Quiz" does not appear in that menu, then probably you need to enable the HotPot module:
  • from the front page or your site, click "Admin" then "Modules"
  • locate the "Hot Potatoes Quiz" module and click the "closed eye" icon
  • if the "closed eye" changes to an "open eye" icon, then the HotPot module is enabled
Please let us know how you get on smile

best regards
Gordon
Attachment add-an-activity-menu.gif
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have modified the wording of point (5) in the README.TXT:

5. On the main page for the Moodle course, confirm editing is turned on (click the "Turn editing on" button) then select "Hot Potatoes Quiz" on the "Add an activity" menu in the section where you want to add the HotPot activity.

Note: If "Hot Potatoes Quiz" does not appear on the "Add an activity", you may need to enable the HotPot module as follows: from the site's front page select "Admin" then "Modules" and click the "closed eye" icon for the "Hot Potatoes Quiz" module

Hopefully that is clearer, but suggestions for further improvements are welcome smile

best regards
Gordon

by Gerald Grow -
Gordon, thank you! That got it.

I thought I must be missing a step, but I didn't know where to look for it.

A general question:

Once a Hotpot quiz is installed in Moodle, will Moodle then give students the Hotpot quiz -- the same way Hotpot alone would present it -- and record the scores?

Will students still be required to click the correct answer before getting a score, regardless of whether the first answer was correct? (I'm accustomed to that feature, but it is not essential.)

If there is special guidance for first-time users of Moodle other than the official documentation, please point me to it.

All the best,

Gerald
In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gordon Bateson -
> will Moodle then give students the Hotpot quiz -- the same way Hotpot alone would present it ?

Yes, Moodle will give students the HotPot quiz the same as if the quiz was run outside of Moodle. If you want, you can add/change/remove the navigation aids and replace the media players, but that is up to you.

> will Moodle ... record the scores

Yes, definitely. You can see reports showing the scores for individual questions and the quiz as a whole. The reports also show how individual questions were answered and allow you to see statistics and trends for the class as a whole.

> Will students still be required to click the correct answer before getting a score, regardless of whether the first answer was correct?

The attempt is only flagged as "Completed" when all the questions have been answered correctly. However, intermediate results for an attempt at a HotPot activity are also recorded by Moodle, so even if the student gives up, or runs out of time, you will still know how far they got. What's more, you will be able to see all the responses up until the time the attempt was abandoned.

hope that helps!
Gordon

by Mazniha Berahim -
 "Hot Potatoes Quiz" does not appear on the "Add an activity"
i can't  enable the HotPot module

from my site's front page, there is no "Modules" in my administraton blocks. 
In reply to Mazniha Berahim

by Gordon Bateson -
  1. log in to your Moodle site as Moodle Administrator
  2. on the front page of your Moodle site, click the "Admin" link at the bottom of the Admin block. That will take you to the Admin page.
  3. on the Admin page, click the Modules link. That will take you to the Modules page.
  4. on the Modules page, click the closed eye icon for the HotPot module and it will then be enabled