Incompatability with Moodle 1.6beta and 1and1?

Re: Incompatability with Moodle 1.6beta and 1and1?

le Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Number of replies: 10
Dealbh dhe Core developers Dealbh dhe Documentation writers Dealbh dhe Moodle HQ Dealbh dhe Peer reviewers Dealbh dhe Plugin developers Dealbh dhe Testers
Hi, I've executed a quick search and I've seen tons of errors 500 under 1&1 hosts.

- Some of them point to some memory/time limits imposed by the hosting, killing scripts exceeding them. You could try to move some modules/blocks out form their place to "alleviate" a bit Moodle installation requeriments and, if it success, move them back later...

- Others point to some miss-configured .htaccess files + php running in cgi mode. Examine if you have some sort of .htaccess file and, if possible, rename it (to disable it) and try again.

- And some of them point to the possibility of switching from PHP4 to PHP5, by creating one simple .htaccess file in the root moodle folder:

To switch from php4 to php 5 you can

i) change all .php files to suffix .php5 which is worse than placing a php.ini in every folder

or ii) add the line, AddType x-mapp-php5 .php, to a .htaccess in your root directory. The good news is it applies to all sub-directories

This seems to avoid server 500 errors, unlike a .htaccess with the line, php_flag register_globals off
Such a shame that 1and1 tech support couldn't have told me of this!

I don't know if (ii) will help but you can try it easily. wink

Ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

le Ray Lawrence -
Ah yes, 1&1.

When I discovered Moodle in 2002 I was completely new to anything server-side. I signed up for a 1&1 account on the recommendation of someone else. I estimate that this experience set me back at least 2 months before I went elsewhere. They may have changed since then but to be on the safe side I'd be tempted to bail out now.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

le David Brighton -

For those of you following this I did raise it as a possible bug http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=5821 as the install problem is a showstopper for 1.6 for us.

Thanks for those tips, will try that .htaccess tip. Bailing out of 1&1, yes, yesterday I had a word with our webmanager and now that we have proved ourselves under our own steam they will try to get us onto the dedicated Windows host they have (they pay 4 times as much a month as we pay for a year on 1&1!) So I suspect that Windows is going to raise a whole new set of problems! Part of the acceptance of Moodle came about when I slipped OU into the conversation.... "...oh and of course when the OU develop the portfolio functionality...".

In reply to David Brighton

le David Brighton -
stronk7 here is a big smoochy one from me! kiss That third .htaccess tip worked a treat, install went fine and now php is reported as version 5.1.4. Will report back if any of the other errors I got before present themselves, but hopefully that is the answer. Should Moodle be expecting php version 5 or is that just the way 1&1 configures itself? Looking back I see that our cheap testbed uses version 5 point something and it worked there.
In reply to David Brighton

le Joseph Rézeau -
Dealbh dhe Core developers Dealbh dhe Particularly helpful Moodlers Dealbh dhe Plugin developers Dealbh dhe Testers Dealbh dhe Translators
Hi Eloy,
And another smoochy for your great tip. kiss I've just put that AddType x-mapp-php5 .php line in a .htaccess file, FTPed it to my moodle folder root on 1&1... et voila! Installation of 1.6 beta5 works like a charm.
I confirm what David says: php is now reported as version 5.1.4.

Joseph

le Rod Spears -
Thanks Eloy,

My problem with a blank admin page came when I upgraded from 1.6beta to 1.6 last week.  I posted the problem here:   http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=48849#225146

I added the line you suggested to my .htaccess file in the root directory of my 1and1 server and I can now see my admin page.  I don't know if this solved all problems, but it did solve that one.

Thanks for the help!

Rod Spears

le john mcgrath -

Hallelujah! This is a MUST KNOW for anyone on One and One trying to upgrade to 1.6. Tell the sky, tell the sea, tell the birds and the bee..zzz!

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

Tip of the year stronk7  - whatever kind of a name that is!

In reply to john mcgrath

le Doug Cullen -
Looks like you folks did better than I did.  I've tried to upgrade but I'm stuck on MySql 4.0.x,  I've tried to get Mysql upgraded, but no action yet.  Just put a test up on a HostGator server, prices and limits pretty much the same. 
In reply to john mcgrath

le Daniel Schimrik -
Hello John!

Thank you very much for this great news. I tried your solution on a fresh 1.7dev with our 1&1 hosting package and MySQL5 and it works perfectly.

The only thing against using Moodle on 1&1 is the very low server performance (web hosting package). Even on a fresh Moodle it takes some seconds to display pages.

Kind regards, Daniel
In reply to Daniel Schimrik

le Simon Marsden -
This worked for me too with 1.7+ very frustrating up until I found this post. Thanks guys.
In reply to john mcgrath

le Đinh Lư Giang -
I tried to do what you tell in the attached .htaccess but nothing happens: nor phpifo shows 5.1.2 nor my problem solved. Am i missing something ?

Thanks