Incompatability with Moodle 1.6beta and 1and1?

Re: Incompatability with Moodle 1.6beta and 1and1?

από Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Αριθμός απαντήσεων: 10
Φωτογραφία Core developers Φωτογραφία Documentation writers Φωτογραφία Moodle HQ Φωτογραφία Peer reviewers Φωτογραφία Plugin developers Φωτογραφία Testers
Hi, I've executed a quick search and I've seen tons of errors 500 under 1&1 hosts.

- Some of them point to some memory/time limits imposed by the hosting, killing scripts exceeding them. You could try to move some modules/blocks out form their place to "alleviate" a bit Moodle installation requeriments and, if it success, move them back later...

- Others point to some miss-configured .htaccess files + php running in cgi mode. Examine if you have some sort of .htaccess file and, if possible, rename it (to disable it) and try again.

- And some of them point to the possibility of switching from PHP4 to PHP5, by creating one simple .htaccess file in the root moodle folder:

To switch from php4 to php 5 you can

i) change all .php files to suffix .php5 which is worse than placing a php.ini in every folder

or ii) add the line, AddType x-mapp-php5 .php, to a .htaccess in your root directory. The good news is it applies to all sub-directories

This seems to avoid server 500 errors, unlike a .htaccess with the line, php_flag register_globals off
Such a shame that 1and1 tech support couldn't have told me of this!

I don't know if (ii) will help but you can try it easily. κλείσιμο ματιού

Ciao χαμόγελο
Σε απάντηση σε Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

από Ray Lawrence -
Ah yes, 1&1.

When I discovered Moodle in 2002 I was completely new to anything server-side. I signed up for a 1&1 account on the recommendation of someone else. I estimate that this experience set me back at least 2 months before I went elsewhere. They may have changed since then but to be on the safe side I'd be tempted to bail out now.
Σε απάντηση σε Ray Lawrence

από David Brighton -

For those of you following this I did raise it as a possible bug http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=5821 as the install problem is a showstopper for 1.6 for us.

Thanks for those tips, will try that .htaccess tip. Bailing out of 1&1, yes, yesterday I had a word with our webmanager and now that we have proved ourselves under our own steam they will try to get us onto the dedicated Windows host they have (they pay 4 times as much a month as we pay for a year on 1&1!) So I suspect that Windows is going to raise a whole new set of problems! Part of the acceptance of Moodle came about when I slipped OU into the conversation.... "...oh and of course when the OU develop the portfolio functionality...".

Σε απάντηση σε David Brighton

από David Brighton -
stronk7 here is a big smoochy one from me! kiss That third .htaccess tip worked a treat, install went fine and now php is reported as version 5.1.4. Will report back if any of the other errors I got before present themselves, but hopefully that is the answer. Should Moodle be expecting php version 5 or is that just the way 1&1 configures itself? Looking back I see that our cheap testbed uses version 5 point something and it worked there.
Σε απάντηση σε David Brighton

από Joseph Rézeau -
Φωτογραφία Core developers Φωτογραφία Particularly helpful Moodlers Φωτογραφία Plugin developers Φωτογραφία Testers Φωτογραφία Translators
Hi Eloy,
And another smoochy for your great tip. kiss I've just put that AddType x-mapp-php5 .php line in a .htaccess file, FTPed it to my moodle folder root on 1&1... et voila! Installation of 1.6 beta5 works like a charm.
I confirm what David says: php is now reported as version 5.1.4.

Joseph

από Rod Spears -
Thanks Eloy,

My problem with a blank admin page came when I upgraded from 1.6beta to 1.6 last week.  I posted the problem here:   http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=48849#225146

I added the line you suggested to my .htaccess file in the root directory of my 1and1 server and I can now see my admin page.  I don't know if this solved all problems, but it did solve that one.

Thanks for the help!

Rod Spears

από john mcgrath -

Hallelujah! This is a MUST KNOW for anyone on One and One trying to upgrade to 1.6. Tell the sky, tell the sea, tell the birds and the bee..zzz!

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

Tip of the year stronk7  - whatever kind of a name that is!

Σε απάντηση σε john mcgrath

από Doug Cullen -
Looks like you folks did better than I did.  I've tried to upgrade but I'm stuck on MySql 4.0.x,  I've tried to get Mysql upgraded, but no action yet.  Just put a test up on a HostGator server, prices and limits pretty much the same. 
Σε απάντηση σε john mcgrath

από Daniel Schimrik -
Hello John!

Thank you very much for this great news. I tried your solution on a fresh 1.7dev with our 1&1 hosting package and MySQL5 and it works perfectly.

The only thing against using Moodle on 1&1 is the very low server performance (web hosting package). Even on a fresh Moodle it takes some seconds to display pages.

Kind regards, Daniel