- Some of them point to some memory/time limits imposed by the hosting, killing scripts exceeding them. You could try to move some modules/blocks out form their place to "alleviate" a bit Moodle installation requeriments and, if it success, move them back later...
- Others point to some miss-configured .htaccess files + php running in cgi mode. Examine if you have some sort of .htaccess file and, if possible, rename it (to disable it) and try again.
- And some of them point to the possibility of switching from PHP4 to PHP5, by creating one simple .htaccess file in the root moodle folder:
To switch from php4 to php 5 you can
i) change all .php files to suffix .php5 which is worse than placing a php.ini in every folder
or ii) add the line, AddType x-mapp-php5 .php, to a .htaccess in your root directory. The good news is it applies to all sub-directories
This seems to avoid server 500 errors, unlike a .htaccess with the line, php_flag register_globals off
Such a shame that 1and1 tech support couldn't have told me of this!
I don't know if (ii) will help but you can try it easily.
When I discovered Moodle in 2002 I was completely new to anything server-side. I signed up for a 1&1 account on the recommendation of someone else. I estimate that this experience set me back at least 2 months before I went elsewhere. They may have changed since then but to be on the safe side I'd be tempted to bail out now.
For those of you following this I did raise it as a possible bug http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=5821 as the install problem is a showstopper for 1.6 for us.
Thanks for those tips, will try that .htaccess tip. Bailing out of 1&1, yes, yesterday I had a word with our webmanager and now that we have proved ourselves under our own steam they will try to get us onto the dedicated Windows host they have (they pay 4 times as much a month as we pay for a year on 1&1!) So I suspect that Windows is going to raise a whole new set of problems! Part of the acceptance of Moodle came about when I slipped OU into the conversation.... "...oh and of course when the OU develop the portfolio functionality...".
And another smoochy for your great tip. I've just put that AddType x-mapp-php5 .php line in a .htaccess file, FTPed it to my moodle folder root on 1&1... et voila! Installation of 1.6 beta5 works like a charm.
I confirm what David says: php is now reported as version 5.1.4.
My problem with a blank admin page came when I upgraded from 1.6beta to 1.6 last week. I posted the problem here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=48849#225146
I added the line you suggested to my .htaccess file in the root directory of my 1and1 server and I can now see my admin page. I don't know if this solved all problems, but it did solve that one.
Thanks for the help!
Hallelujah! This is a MUST KNOW for anyone on One and One trying to upgrade to 1.6. Tell the sky, tell the sea, tell the birds and the bee..zzz!
AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
Tip of the year stronk7 - whatever kind of a name that is!
Thank you very much for this great news. I tried your solution on a fresh 1.7dev with our 1&1 hosting package and MySQL5 and it works perfectly.
The only thing against using Moodle on 1&1 is the very low server performance (web hosting package). Even on a fresh Moodle it takes some seconds to display pages.
Kind regards, Daniel