For a couple of months now I 've been involved (lead developer) with a Distance Education project here in Greece.
As per the project's plans, we have already developed a Questions module, which (briefly) provides this functionality:
- Students can ask their questions
- The system looks in its Knowledge Base (KB) to see if (according to a keyword scheme) there is any possible answer already
- If yes, then of course the question is automatically answered
- If not, then the question is forwarded to the teachers who, after a "private conversation" period, asnwer it. The student can at any time declare he is "satisfied" with the answer.
- Finally the teacher "closes" (finalizes) the question which ends the matter
- There are assorted administration options for the Knowledge Base if you are a teacher
If someone is interested in having a look, please indicate it so that I scrape up a release package for you, otherwise it might be delayed for some time as there are other things that need to be taken care of, too.
Thanks in advance to everyone (especially Martin) for your help in making Moodle what it is!