taming the gradebook

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 10
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: taming the gradebook

ni A. T. Wyatt -
Are you using categories?  Categories can be used with and without weights, and that helps a lot by subdividing the display of your grades if you have quite a few grades.

You can also set the gradebook to show or not show "hidden" grades.  If you hide the assignment and have the gradebook NOT show hidden grades, it should disappear from the list.

The gradebook is pretty powerful, but you do have to learn the best way to use it!  It took me awhile, but I am much more comfortable with it now.  Search the forums for Humboldt's  gradebook tutorials.  You might find them useful.  They are very well done.

Good luck!
atw

In reply to Deleted user

ni Michael Penney -
One thing you can do is put the assignments you don't want to show up in the gradebook into a category and hide the category (click "Hide" in "Set Weights"). you can also hide "Uncategorized" and then just move the ones you want to show up to students into visible categories.
In reply to Michael Penney

In reply to Deleted user

ni Michael Penney -
Items hidden in the gradebook aren't calculated.

Also, if you are using categories and weighting, it is often helpful to turn off the display of raw points and raw percent in the Preferences tab, and just show students the weighted grades.

If you want to grade a chat, currently you have to create an assignment to put the grade in. We are working on a 'graded item in gradebook' feature, which lets you add a graded item directly into the gradebook.

ni ellen friedlander -
For those of us using moodle as part of a physical classroom environment, we definitely need a way to enter grades on quizzes/tests that were given in the brick and mortar classroom.  There's currently no way to do this????
In reply to ellen friedlander

ni Peter Kupfer -
Ellen --

What I have done is just create an assignment and put the points in. Does that work for you?

Peter

ni Ghassan Geara -

Hi Michael,

1/ We have 10 Groups in a course of 120 students (12 per group) and the instructor assigned one group LEADER to upload the assignment. Is there a way in Moodle 1.6.2 to assign the grade to the WHOLE group without having to copy the same grade individually to EACH member of the group?

2/ The instructor needs a list of the Groups and their members. No such place in Moodle to print the Groups and their participants?

Thanks for any hint,

Ghassan

In reply to Ghassan Geara

ni Steve Murray -

Ghassan,

Did you ever get an aswner on this inquiry?  I am new to supporting Moodle for various campuses, I would anticipate getting a question like this.

Thanks.

Steve