Password-Protecting Quizzes

Password-Protecting Quizzes

par Matthew Byars,
Nombre de réponses : 15

Hello All:

Sorry--sent this to just a few folks first, thought I'd open it to the whole community.  Does anyone know of any way to password-protect, or otherwise restrict access to quizzes aside from date restriction or "number of attempts" restriction?  I'm going to have multiple students from multiple locations taking my course at different paces, and some will need access to the tests before others...my concern is that the students not ready for the tests will see that the tests are open and use that opportunity to preview them.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matthew Byars

Moyenne des évaluations  -
En réponse à Matthew Byars

Re: Password-Protecting Quizzes

par Martin Dougiamas,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers
Yes, I'll be adding passwords very soon as the change is minimal but useful. I have a few clients that need it.
En réponse à Martin Dougiamas

par Matthew Byars,

Hi Martin:

Thanks for the response; I really appreciate it.  I'm a friend of Tom Murdock's--we teach at the same school--and he's turned me into a bit of a Moodle fanatic...I use it every day (and in every way) with my 6th grade English class, and I love it.  I can't believe there's such a great--and better--alternative to expensive platforms like what I used to use, eCollege.

Do you know approximately when the password-protection might be ready? 

Thanks again,

Matt

En réponse à Martin Dougiamas

par Alessandro Zampa,

Hello Martin,

I would love very much to have the possibility to insert a calculated password for the quiz (e.g. calculated from local/server time) so it canbe publicly communicated during exams: this way nobody can access the quiz unless knowing the function used to calculate the password. This should save time when starting up the exam and preserve exam questions from disclosure.

Of course, the function should be customisable.

Is all this possible?

Thanks

Alessandro

En réponse à Alessandro Zampa

par Tim Hunt,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Peer reviewers Avatar Plugin developers

You can set a different password and time limits for each group of students. 

En réponse à Tim Hunt

par Alessandro Zampa,

Hi Tim!

Things are not always so simple grand sourire !

This is my situation: I'm working in an asynchronous flipped learning environment where some students decide to take an "exam" (an automated test to decide if they are able to sustain an assessment - prepared by the teacher - of their mastery of skills) while others are engaged in learning activities. The group of students taking the exam changes with time and with respect to the learning module they are studying: the existence of groups of variable geometry precludes the use of the proposed strategy. Furthermore the presence, in the same class, of students who take the exam and others who don't, forces me to change the password every day.

I therefore ask for the possibility to define a password automatically calculated.

An example.

In the quiz settings there should be the possibility to choose between a standard password and a calculated one. In the second case there would be provided four (or more, or less) fields where to put formulas: the password should be computed by concatenating the strings obtained from the calculations. If the variables y (for year), m (for month), d (for day) and h (for hour) are available, together with simple mathematical functions (+, -, *, /, INT), one could e.g. enter the following formulae

d+h*2
INT(y/100)+h
m
y-100*INT(y/100)+24-h

to define an automatically computed password which requires some work to guess.

At 5 october 2015 h 17 the four fields give respectively 39, 37, 10 and 22 so the password should be 39371022.

Then, the best should be to have the password displayed automatically on the quiz page, only for teachers (of course). This helps to eliminate problems arising from the difference between local and server time.

Thanks

par Tim Hunt,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Peer reviewers Avatar Plugin developers

So, how are the students told the password?

If you really want, you can implemente whatever crazy logic you like by making a new quiz access rule plugin. However, there are probably better ways to achieve what you are trying to achieve (e.g. conditional availability, as has already been suggested).
Moyenne des évaluations Useful (1)

par Emma Richardson,
Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers
If the password is disclosed automatically, why do you need it?  Why not just open the quiz when you want it and then close it again afterwards.  Would that not have the same effect?  You can also set time restrictions per group...
En réponse à Emma Richardson

par Alessandro Zampa,

Please read my previous post which sets the situation. Public disclosure of the password allows students who take the exam to access it, but students not taking the exam cannot look at it at home because the password they know has expired in the meantime. If things work automatically I am not forced to go crazy to continuously activate and deactivate the quiz.

That said, the password should be automatically disclosed to the teacher, not to the student: it is the teacher that says the password to the student.

The reason to disclose the password to teachers is the following: I would like to share my courses with others - students and teachers - but I don't want to allow teachers to edit them, therefore they can't set a personal password to quizzes. At this point it is easier to give them directly the password than to say them which is the function which creates it. Indeed, this saves also my time cool ...

Suppose now that the teachers using my courses live in a different time zone: there could be confusion concerning the hour (and perhaps the day) to use when calculating the password. Giving it directly to them is the better solution.

par Emma Richardson,
Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers

I suggest then looking at access restrictions and conditional activities.  You could set the quiz to only be available upon a certain condition being met (being member of a certain group, for example, and your teachers could add them to the group) -  and then you can also set the quiz itself where students cannot go back and look at the questions after they have completed it.

I can't think of a way to do exactly what you want.

En réponse à Emma Richardson

par Alessandro Zampa,

Yes, this is the point! At the moment nobody can do what I want, so I timide am asking martin for a new feature to be implemented... 

My problem is that the same group (a class) is composed of students who take the exam today, students that will take the exam tomorrow, students that wil take the exam after a week, and so on... Moreover, I have no chances in defining these subgroups, since they form spontaneously when students feel they are ready to take exams. surprise

Therefore, I should open the quiz today the hour the first subgroup takes its exam, then close it, then open it tomorrow for the second subgroup, and after that close it again. Then open it again, and so on... It is very crazy! triste

The solution I propose is the best I can find and I think it could be useful to others. Oui

Cheers

Alessandro

par Emma Richardson,

It would and I suggest putting in a tracker request for it.

In the meantime, just have one group and only give that group access to the quiz.  When they are ready to take the quiz, add them to the group.  Set up the quiz so that once they have taken it, they cannot go back and review it. 

To me, that accomplishes what you need to do, doesn't it?  No need for passwords at all....

par Bernard Boucher,
Hi Matthew,
                    there is an unofficial way to lock/unlock  the quiz.

But If Martin put that option in the quiz itself it is better to use Martin's solution.

But if you want it now use activities linking with 2 quiz:

The first quiz will have only one short answer question that will represent your access key.

The second quiz will be unlocked only if the answer to the first quiz is correct.
That second quiz is the real quiz for your students with many normal questions.

To limit copy of the unlocking answer:
      you can change your answer sometime,
     or you only have to create many questions for the first quiz and use an random question.
     ( in that case you will have to be online to give the key to each students )

Bye,

Bernard

En réponse à Bernard Boucher

par Matthew Byars,

Thanks!  I'll try it out.

Best,

Matt

A password has magically been required for all quizzzes on my site, and it's the same password.

par John Baker,

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help. Last week, a password (that I didn't set up was) required for all quizzes on my site in all of my classes, and it's the same password. The same password is also required for every new quiz I make or import from another class. 

I need help with two things:

1. Does anyone know why this might have happened?

2. Does anyone know how to turn it off besides going into every quiz in every class and manually turning off the options under "extra restrictions on the attempt?

Thanks for your help.

John Baker

drjohnrbaker@yahoo.com

En réponse à John Baker

Re: A password has magically been required for all quizzzes on my site, and it's the same password.

par Tim Hunt,
Web browsers have become increasingly aggressive in auto-filling passwords into web forms. This is a serious pain. Probably what happeend is that some teacher's web browser filled in the password field of these quiz forum without the teacher wanting that to happen.

Recently, they tried to do a work-around for that, probably in Moodle 2.9.2.