Moodle documentation: MoodleDocs: Feature for Moodle 1.6 ... but also for 1.5+

Moodle documentation: MoodleDocs: Feature for Moodle 1.6 ... but also for 1.5+

by Ghassan Geara -
Number of replies: 8

hi!

Checking the Lesson Module in MoodleDocs, i see the "Moodle 1.6" yellow flag near the "Types of questions available within a lesson" picture.

But these types are available in our Moodle 1.5.3. So the "Moodle 1.6" flag  should be removed from this section, no?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ghassan Geara

Re: Moodle Docs: Feature for Moodle 1.6 ... but also for 1.5+

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Ghassan,

Thanks for checking Moodle Docs. approve Please feel free to edit pages and correct any mistakes you find.

Re: Moodle documentation: MoodleDocs: Feature for Moodle 1.6 ... but also for 1.5+

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Ghassan,
Actually, the mechanism of the Short Answer question has been modified in Moodle 1.6. It now has an option for regular expressions analysis. And I am shortly going to re-write that part of the Doc. So the 1.6 flag should stay there.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Moodle documentation: MoodleDocs: Feature for Moodle 1.6 ... but also for 1.5+

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
>And I am shortly going to re-write that part of the Doc.

Done here >>.

Joseph

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
I liked "expected" student answer and new wording for short answer.  Nice.

by Ray Lawrence -
Thanks Joseph,

Read this earlier today, most illuminating.

by Ghassan Geara -

In fact, Joseph, i was waiting for reactions before doing any changes. Glad to hear from you. Indeed the Short Answer question has many new options in 1.6.

It seems to me that Moodle 1.5.3 information is getting heavy changes and mixes with the 1.6 in MoodleDocs. In few weeks/months, it will be hard to differentiate what is applicable to 1.5.3 and what is 1.6.

Any solution around...other than upgrading to 1.6 upon immediate release of the stable version? wink

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Ghassan,
Yes, as I was updating the Lesson Docs with the (new to 1.6) short answer options I was wondering about this problem of a unique documentation for different (sometimes very different) versions.
Of course it's possible to use special Moodle 1.5 and Moodle 1.6 "flags", but the doc. can still become confusing.surprise

Can the Moodle gurus come up with an answer to this question?

Joseph

Re: MoodleDocs: mixing versions and helps etc.

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Re Moodle 1.5.3 information is getting heavy changes and mixes with the 1.6 in MoodleDocs.  I agree and it makes for akward writing. 

I have only used Moodle from 1.5.3 onward and now am working all the time in my 1.6 localhost, dowloading the Moodle Beta package almost every day.   In the Lesson area of MoodleDocs, there is/was a lot of pre 1.5.3 legacy language and concepts.  Rather than wait for 1.6 stable, I have been trying to gently edit to something of a 1.5.3 standard.  

What happened when Moodle went from 1.4 to 1.5 ?  Come to think of it, was MoodleDocs around then.

In a slightly related subject (and a subject of another post), we have similar issues with help files.  Writing, even editing help files is a major amount of work.  I suggested some sort of MoodleDocs file schema that was ..\16\lang\en\help\lesson or ..\15\lang\en\help\lesson.    This gives person responsible for updating help files (Moodle module developer or Moodle site administrator) an additional resource besides a legacy version or a bug report to start with.   

And how about our Moodle Demo crossover?    Now I definately have gone off topic. smile