Upgrade Problem

Upgrade Problem

by David Hogg -
Number of replies: 7

I recently attempted to upgrade to Hotpot v 2.1 but have failed to download the messages file to put in the lang/en folder.

I have tried to get the file from an earlier post on this forum but the link seems dead.

I quote:

You can download it from here:

You will also need the HotPot messages file, which you can get from here:

Is there another way of getting the file please.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Hogg

Re: Upgrade Problem

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Recently the structure of the CVS depository was changed.

The new link for the HotPot messages file is:

and the HotPot help files are now here:

A few weeks ago, I asked for the lang files to be included in the zip download,
but it doesn't look like that is going to happen - see bug 5341
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by David Hogg -

Thank you very much for this link. It has filled all the labels correctly.

Unfortunately on some multiple choice questions when I grade the answer I get an error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fhlinux208/a/addysg-morganllwyd.co.uk/user/htdocs/lang/en/hotpot.php:202) in /home/fhlinux208/a/addysg-morganllwyd.co.uk/user/htdocs/mod/hotpot/attempt.php on line 146

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/fhlinux208/a/addysg-morganllwyd.co.uk/user/htdocs/lang/en/hotpot.php:202) in /home/fhlinux208/a/addysg-morganllwyd.co.uk/user/htdocs/mod/hotpot/attempt.php on line 147

Is this a case of me upgrading too soon before MOODLE 1.6 release?

In reply to David Hogg

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There seems to be something wrong with the hotpot.php messages file you are using.

Please try using the file attached to this message.

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by David Hogg -

This file has worked, thank you very much.

It seems to 'solve' the problem with long Hotpot quizzes (over 4 questions) as the reporting is detailed (i.e. number of questions attempted is stored along with mark) but there is no message to say that the quiz has been completed when all questions are answered (although it did appear for 1 student out of 10!). 

I can live with this solution for now and look at it again when 1.6 is released.

Thanks for all your help.

In reply to David Hogg

by Gordon Bateson -
  1. Could I have a look at the quiz on your site? If yes, please send the URL to me at: gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp
  2. Does the quiz work if you upload it to my server?
    http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/16/ms/
  3. Re: I can live with this solution for now and look at it again when 1.6 is released

The HotPot module you are using is the module from Moodle 1.6, so I don't think much will change when you upgrade to Moodle 1.6. If you want to sort it out, now is a good time smile

cheers
Gordon

In reply to David Hogg

by brian chipperfield -
I have an upgrade problem. I recently tried to install the new hotpot module. I have moodle version 6 running. I followed the instructions in the hotpot readme file yet I still get the message that I need to be using moodle version 1.7. How do I upgrade my site to version 1.7?
In reply to brian chipperfield

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Brian,
the version of the HotPot that you downloaded requires Moodle 1.7. It won't run on Moodle 1.6, I'm afraid.

Are you sure you want to upgrade to Moodle 1.7? It is not a stable release yet, so I don't recommend using it on a live site.

If possible, I recommend you upgrade you site to the latest version of Moodle 1.6, currently 1.6.3+. That will give you the latest version of the Hotpot module, and you will get many other small improvements to other parts of Moodle too.

You can get Moodle 1.6 (and Moodle 1.7 for that matter) from the Moodle downloads page.

More information about upgrading is available here:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrading

regards
Gordon