General help

Picture of Fred Youberg
Assigning different due dates for different class sections

I have a course with one section of students that meets on Tuesday and a different group of students that meets on Thursday.  The curriculum for the two groups is identical.  How can I set up assignment due dates so that the Tuesday group does not always have several days more than the Thursday group to get their assignments submitted?  Do I have to create two Moodle courses, identical to one another except for assignment availability and due dates?  Any guidance would be much appreciated.  --fred

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Will Taylor
Re: Assigning different due dates for different class sections

This is my routine situation.

I don't bother to actually set up due dates for assignments in the software - makes it too difficult for the student with a legitimate excuse for lateness [appendicitis, virus ate my file, &c. ;^) ] to submit after that rigid date.  I insert the due date(s) in the name of the assignment, and in the assignment description, so that there is no missing it (at least it would not seem that it could be missed, but go figure ... )

I assign my 2 sections to 2 groups (Tues, Thurs) using the Groups function in course Settings.  When grading, I work on one Group at a time.  The date the assignment was submitted is stamped on the assignments grading page, so it is easy to identify a late assignment & assess it appropriately.

Picture of David Challoner

I know this thread is a few years old, however I am just starting up with moodle and am in the same situation described above.  Is it still impossible to set hard deadline dates for the same activity for different groups?

I also have different classes following the same course, but in a different order.  So we have four blocks of Physics (Forces, Light, Circuits, Space), one class might teach; forces, light, circuits and space, whilst another might go Light, Circuits, Space and Forces.  Do I need to create separate course for each pathway and then copy all the course worksheets/homework etc from one group to another?

Picture of Andre Clements

Need the same functionality, where different groups are doing exatly the same course over slightly different dates. It is important they be able to access the same course forum etc. but have different deadlines for their assignments.

Would also like somehow set an exam date per group to be listed in the same way in their MyMoodle course profile listing

Am using 2.0, would it be feasable to build a plugin for this?

Thanks

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Katerina Nemcova

Hi,

Has anyone found a solution to this? I am in the same situation, with several groups starting at different stages but all taking one specific assignment at some point.

The groups/grouping functionality doesn't allow me to set a different deadline for a different group.

Any advice/help please would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Itamar Tzadok
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

But the groups/grouping allows you to hide an assignment from not group members and so if you create a designated assignment for each group you can use the groups/grouping for showing each group only the group's designated assignment. The only problem with this approach (on top of the extra work for duplicating the assignments) is that the gradebook does not recognize grouping and so all the instances will appear in the grade report of the students.

In Moodle 2 you should be able to set different deadlines for different groups.

smile

Picture of Katerina Nemcova

Thanks  Itamar- the additional problem with this approach is that we have several cohorts on the same course being just 1 month or so apart from each other, and creating designated assignments (total of 15 per course) for each cohort (e.g. Cohort 1 assignment number 4) tends to confuse tutors and then they mark different work. Strange, I know, but we need to make this as simple as possible for our teachers.

I'm planning to upgrade to Moodle 2 as soon as possible (still working on developing a new template), so hopefully this will sort out the problem. I was just wondering if there is a simple solution in Moodle 1.9, but it looks liek there isn't. Thanks anyway

Katerina

Ben talking on the phone beside a monitor
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Mary Cooch @moodlefairy just did a vid on this subject at YouTube. How to copy resources in 2.1 http://www.youtube.com/user/UsingMoodle#p/u/0/rV4_Z-hNMoc