Moodle forums aren't bad, but they are limited

Moodle forums aren't bad, but they are limited

by Adam Brooks -
Number of replies: 13

Moodle forums aren't bad, but they are limited and still far from competitive IMO. It does not include many of the community forum management features that other applications commonly provide. So, here's my current list of forum tool annoyances and wishes.

• Ability to auto-quote the post that you are responding to. This is very common in online community apps. Without it, automated email notifications often make little or no sense.
  • Ability for a teacher to permanently stick/highlight a thread at the top of a forum threads list. This is commonly found in online forums apps.
  • The Ability to split multiple posts within a thread into a new multi-post thread. This is another common community/forums application feature. Right now it only supports splitting individual posts into a new thread.
  • A simple non-graded polling and surveying tool is commonly found integrated within online forum apps. A lightweight version for Moodle would be great for facilitating discussions. Again, another very common feature of forum apps.
  • Display view counter and reply counter in threads index. Again, commonly found.
  • A forum moderator role without the user being in a teacher role would be nice.
  • How about a 'mark all as read' option for forums with unread tracking enabled?

I'll post more feedback as I am able.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Adam Brooks

Re: Moodle forums aren't bad, but they are limited

by Timothy Takemoto -
I think that you may find that more than one or all of the above have been posted to the bug tracker which is the place for feature requests. If you do an advanced search for the forum related feature requests and make a list of them here, then perhaps people may vote for them.
In reply to Adam Brooks

by Dan Stowell -
Adam -

Some good points there. As Tim mentions, the bug tracker is the natural home for things like this, although there's no harm in people discussing them in the forums of course.

A couple of the features you mention already exist in Moodle:

• "Non-graded polling" - use the "choice" tool, which does exactly that. I know it isn't directly in the forum page, but that's such a small difference. (You can use the "choice block" to make it appear in a sidebar.)
  • "mark all as read" - that already exists - click on the tick-mark icon at the top of the list.
I think the option for "sticky threads" (as you mention) is one which would be easy to implement and would be very useful. It's stored as bug 1997 - sign up to the bugtracker and vote for it!
In reply to Dan Stowell

by N Hansen -
But students can't start polls, only teachers. Other software allows anyone to do so as the beginning of a discussion topic.
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Adam Brooks -
so, to clarify, the bugtracker is also for suggestions not just error logging?
In reply to Adam Brooks

by Samuli Karevaara -
Yes, but try to search around in bit in there, they might have been posted before. It's often hard to find stuff in the bugtracker, so try with just one keyword and a selected module (Forum).

I did a quick look and the auto-quote request is filed as Bug #380, Dan mentioned the sticky threads as Bug #1997 etc...
In reply to Adam Brooks

by N Hansen -
It's a bit of a hassle to not be able to auto-quote, but unfortunately, since sometimes it seems that 90% of people don't bother to trim those auto-quotes when they have that option, we are a lot better off without them. I've noticed when a forum has a "reply" and a "reply with quote" option, people are more likely to trim when they use "reply with quote" than they would with auto-quote.
In reply to Adam Brooks

by N Hansen -
Multiple posts in Moodle CAN be split into new threads, as long as they are in response to the first post you want to split.
In reply to Adam Brooks

by David Scotson -

Many of these request come up quite a lot. I suspect eventually they will all get implemented, just because they get asked for again and again.

I would however like to point out that many of the features you are talking about are common only to Bulletin Board or Forum software, that is I mean software that only does forums has has no other features. This means they need to put all their community building tools into forum posts. For example:

• Bulletin Board feature -> Moodle features
  • sticky posts -> resources, wikis and the intro text for a forum
  • poll posts -> choices, surveys, questionnaire, feedback module, quiz

Then there is the fact that most of these forum tools are unthreaded. This design choice means that many things are done differently because multiple conversations are intertwined, not linked in the database but only because people quote a post further up the discussion:

• auto-quoting -> reply to a specific post
  • split multiple posts -> split a thread at its root and all child posts follow

Some other things in your list are good ideas, they're just clearly influenced by a different way of doing things e.g. if you want a busy forum with lots of moderators that aren't necessarily trusted teachers then why not make a social format course, which is seperate from all the actual teaching courses? 'Teachers' in that course have no extra rights in other parts of the Moodle unless explicitly given them. (I think Moodle 1.7 is implementing a feature like this anyway, but more generally so you can have different 'teachers' responsible for different course sections and activity etc.)

As I said I think these ideas will eventually be implemented anyway. It's very difficult to defend intentionally not implementing a feature. I think that's part of why most software gets bloated and more difficult to use over time (e.g. Microsoft Office) unless you have someone with an iron will ensuring that it doesn't happen and things remain coherent and focused (e.g. see Apple software/hardware or the Mozilla-Firefox transition).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Scotson

by Adam Brooks -

A few thoughts...

• Other LMS systems, namely Bb, offer the ability to assign student forum moderators.
  • Sticky in forums is good for ongoing or highlighted threads. A wiki doesn't do that.
  • Given, building an active learning community requires tools for managing an active community.

Thanks for the feedback.

In reply to Adam Brooks

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
What is the role definition of a student forum moderator?

Some of them is part of an actual discussion of a new role system for moodle, including teacher rights for single students for single activities, et al.

Ralf