Import problems

Import problems

le Jon Wong -
Number of replies: 2

Hi

I want to import a text file which contains glossary terms. When I try an import I get the message:

You must specify the file to import and define the criteria of the process.

Submit your request and review the results.

Is there a particular format that the glossary if suppose to be in order to be imported to Moodles glossary

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Wong

Re: Import problems

le D.I. von Briesen -
Jon- I just spent a while beating on this problem- and there's clearly a need for a little more info/debugging on this.

I kept getting this problem with no explanation I could understand. Finally, I went back to another course and exported the glossary and then imported, and it worked as expected. I did switch to firefox after playing with IE for a while - so that might play a small role. I also ran into some minor formatting- i.e. you view the xml and then paste into notepad, it actually copies over the dashes (- <ENTRY>) so have a look at that sort of thing. When in doubt, look at what moodle exports to figure out how to import.

I wish the format were consistent with the other import features... but oh well.

d.i.
In reply to Jon Wong

Re: Import problems

le Joseph Rézeau -
Dealbh dhe Core developers Dealbh dhe Particularly helpful Moodlers Dealbh dhe Plugin developers Dealbh dhe Testers Dealbh dhe Translators
Hi Jon,
See explanations in the Moodle Documentation.
You cannot expect to import glossary terms from a simple text file. I agree that the instructions on the Glossary Import screen could be better, and should state clearly that the expected file is an XML file.
Joseph