Your opinion about this server configuration / 200 or 300 users

Your opinion about this server configuration / 200 or 300 users

by Susana Willemoës -
Number of replies: 2

Hi everybody! I need your help!! I´ve been reading the formun but have no conclusion about this:

I have to install Moodle to be used by 200 or 300 users (4 o 5 courses, distance learning, 10 - 15 simultaneous users) and my provider offers me a VPS with this configuration:

10 GB disk space
256 MB RAM
150 GB band width

Do you think it´ll work fine? I don´t want to have problems about speed, I want it to work OK. I think disk space is OK, but don´t know anything about RAM and band width.

Can you give me your advice please?

Thanks a lot !! (Sorry my english...)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susana Willemoës

Re: Your opinion about this server configuration / 200 or 300 users

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> 10 GB disk space

For 4 to 5 courses this means 2 GB per course. Should be more than enough unless the courses are on video production and you upload whole DVDs ;)

> 256 MB RAM

This is on the low side. At todays RAM prices there is no reason to save money here. For a responsive system (on Linux) I would advice to go for 512 MB RAM.

> 150 GB band width

This is not really a band-width, it is the volume of data you can transfer (up and down) during a month. It sounds good enough.

One important thing you haven't mentioned is the connection speed of the provider to a major internet backbone and the latency. The former is usually given in so many GBit/s connection to peer X, so many to peer Y,etc. The latter is ping time in milli-seconds.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Your opinion about this server configuration / 200 or 300 users

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
>> 256 MB RAM

> This is on the low side. At todays RAM prices there is no reason to save money here. For a responsive system (on Linux) I would advice to go for 512 MB RAM.

Only later I saw that you are talking about a shared server this difference could upset your budget ;-(

I don't have experience with this sort of servers, somebody else has to jump in.

My rough guess is that you hava a small site, 256 MB might be OK if a) the server is a fairely tuned Linux system b) your 15 concurrent users don't want to run a chat session in parallel.

BTW, do you plan to give those 15 users an on-line question paper (quiz) to be solved at the same time (say day X from 8-9h)?

You must have noticed that the _peak_ demand counts. If you can figure out what that is, we can give a better answer.