Japanese Migration to Version 1.6

Japanese Migration to Version 1.6

- Don Hinkelman の投稿
返信数: 1
I have done a successful migration of 1.5.3 courses with 100% Japanese into version 1.6beta5.  Initially, it did not work in the following two cases.
  • courses added after doing unicode migration
  • courses based on 1.4.5 directly into 1.6
I reported this to Eloy at this bug report 5276, and he recommended the following process.
  1. upgrade your site to 1.5.3+ (actually Eloy recommends a fresh install, I just upgraded)
  2. backup each of your 1.5.3 courses
  3. upgrade the site to 1.6
  4. do the unicode migration (this can only be done once)
  5. backup your courses once again in 1.6
I followed these steps, and it worked,  Note I told the migration when prompted that all of my courses were based on the "ja" language pack.  Note also, that you *cannot* later add more 1.5.3 ja courses to the 1.6 site.  They must go through the database migration process which can only be done once.   Thus, if you have an old 1.5.3 course that you wish to add at a later time after you already migrated, you cannot add it directly.  As a workaround, you must make a new, separate 1.5.3 site, transfer your course into it, then upgrade that site into 1.6, backup the course, and move it into the intended 1.6 site.   Voila!  満面の笑顔

You can see Eloy's further documentation at this location in the Moodle Docs Wiki.  Especially look for comments on non-ISO 8859-1 backups. 

Cheers.  Don
Don Hinkelman への返信

Re: Japanese Migration to Version 1.6

- James Phillips の投稿
Thanks Don! That is all very useful to know. I was planning on simply cloning my site on the same server by copying the entire folder through C-panel, making a new empty database, changing the config.php of the copy to the new empty database, importing the old database into the copy through phpmyadmin, then upgrading the copy and testing it for a while before replacing the old site with the copy, if all that makes sense (I have a remote server rather than an on-site one). I like the idea of a fresh install but I unfortunately built the site with a forum on the frontpage and there doesn't seem to be any way of doing a fresh install and keeping the content of the front page forums. There are also mods in various places on the site and I am not sure how the site as a whole will react (http://www.horsefrog.com). There are quite a few niggly little problems with the site that I am hoping the switch to 1.6 will wipe out at a stroke. Corruption of RSS feeds being the main one. Is it all looking pretty stable after the upgrade or is there still much work to be done?

Cheers,

Jamie (P, but not the flash/mobile wizard!)