Yes, sorry about that stupid comment about "should work with." Moodle is lovely, and that was not a very kind thing for me to say.
I've convinced the powers that be that we should just use MySQL. I already know and love the MySQL/PHP combination, so it's not as though I was fighting for SQL Server. I just wanted to prove that I could do it. And it's what we use here at USSA.
As an FYI, I found these specific problems that could affect a Moodle/SQL Server implementation:
- The enum column type does not exist in SQL Server. I presume that constraints would work.
- I found two column names that are reserved words: user and open. I renamed these columns users and isOpen, but I've no idea what I that might break.
P.S. There was no need to translate any .php files ... just the .sql files.
Actually, the main_upgrade function ran, and created the "config" table, and created it properly. But I don't think it should have -- there was no upgrade going on. It kept failing to insert the version number into the db.
It did not seem that the functions that were retrieving data were altogether successful, and I haven't had enough time to dig through them to find out what was going on.
I'd love to help with testing. I'm off to play with the external authentication right now.