Managing RSS Feeds

Managing RSS Feeds

by Tony Hirst -
Number of replies: 0
The use of feeds as a way of syndicating content is likely to continue increasing, particularly with new browsers making it easier for users to find and subscribe to feeds.

Is there a strategy for evolving feed support in Moodle?

Just by the by, here are my immediate impressions after playing with the RSS module:

1) it should be a feeds module (RSS of various flavours, atom etc.);
2) naming feeds is quirky - eg only alphachars seem to be allowed and digits are ignored (I can't name a feed with a course code for example - e.g. T184News)
3) importing several feeds is clunky - OPML import would be nice (both from a URL as well as OPML file upload);
4) are feed URIs private to me as course admin?
5) the add feed option is at the bottom of the feed management page - which means scrolling if you have a lot of feeds. Any chance of a simple/minimal feed subscription tab as well as the more general management tab?
6) I can't put a feed panel in the middle column. I'd like to be able to do this at times, especially with annotated links (e.g. consuming an annotated links list feed of the form (displayed as html) Annotated Link list (rss feed)).

Is there a feed reader module (I know, I should RTFM - but there doesn't seem to be an obvious one in the installation I'm playing on)?

It would be nice to be able to call on particular function in the html editor that allow me to pull in links from a feed and have them inserted into the body of a page (for example see the Dynamic Injection of Links section on this page).

Also, I noticed when trying this demo out (which allows me to search over the links that are pulled into a page) that when I put something like this into my edited web page:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://del.icio.us/feeds/json/psychemedia/web2.0?count=20" ></script>

when I went to edit the page the actual javascript was there. Does this always happen? Is there anyway I can preserve the script include so I can guarantee a live script or json feed is being pulled into the page? Or do I have to create my own html page outside Moodle to guarantee this?

regards,
tony
Average of ratings: -