Turning Point Software & RFID Clickers

Turning Point Software & RFID Clickers

by Dave Bour -
Number of replies: 13
I am both a student and employee of Illinois State University.  I work as a web developer for the Biology Department and am redesigning a site that first year students will use.  I wanted to integrate Moodle as a resource for professors and students alike, but the department may be turning to Web CT.  One major factor is if Moodle can work with RFID clickers, specifically from ones used by Turning Point software:  http://www.turningtechnologies.com/

I checked the documentation and forums, but could not find an answer.  Is it possible to have Moodle accept responses from students via RFID clickers?  Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Bour

Re: Turning Point Software & RFID Clickers

by Tony Hursh -
Maybe someone else knows how to do this.... this is just a quick take from reading ther web site.

It looks like their software is set up to work with Microsoft Office and/or WebCT/Blackboard/BlackWeb (only). I don't see any public API for integrating it into other applications.

You *might* be able to use VBA to snarf the data out of Excel and send it the Moodle server (using the WebBrowser control or the Internet Transfer Control), but it wouldn't be pretty.

Have you asked the manufacturer if they'd consider doing a Moodle integration (or, alternatively, releasing some kind of open API so someone else can do it)?

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Miles Berry -
We've used the IR versions with Office, and got as far as exporting the multichoice questions to re-use as Moodle quizzes. It would be relatively easy to move grades across from TP to Moodle, but it looked pretty horrendous to populate Moodle's quiz attempt database with TP responsed. I'm not aware of a public API, and so automating the process would be quite a lot of work.

A more profitable avenue would be to explore ways of responding to Moodle Choices and Multichoice quizzes via the near ubiquitous mobile phones, or more versatile PDAs. Indeed Moodle for PSPs would be an interesting case study, especially given UK and US interest in using games in schools.
In reply to Miles Berry

by Tony Hursh -
Any chance you can post a sample file? Maybe some kindly VBA hacker will be willing to take a stab at the automation part.

In reply to Miles Berry

by Matt Campbell -
Ok, you got my interest on the PSP idea, & I can say that it's doable ~ I'm typing on mine now.
Firmware 2.4 does a good job ~ cut the header & footer CSS to a minimum, limit text entry, & avoid Office & PDF docs. It does audio RSS, but not text.
In reply to Miles Berry

by Andreas Forstinger -
Hi. I am currently planning on such a solution using mobile phones as an audience response system. The first step of using choices does not seem too much of a problem to me. What I would like to introduce is a more interactive ("live") way with the possibility of realtime questions entered via a java applet or flash object. Questions are pushed across the audience and afterwards a nice graphic is shown.

If somebody is interested or could even offer some help (I'm rather new to both moodle and PHP) - be welcome! For contact please see my profile.
In reply to Andreas Forstinger

by Tina Rooks -

I work for Turning Technologies and we have released our Moodle Module so that you can easily use the rosters in Moodle and push the results to the Moodle gradebook. If you would like more information please contact me at

Tina Rooks trooks@turningtechnologies.com

In reply to Dave Bour

by Tina Rooks -

Here is the link to download the Module  please contact me with any questions.

Tina

In reply to Tina Rooks

by María José Blanes -

Hi Tina,

do you know what's the last version of the module?

And... this module works with Moodle 2.X?

Thanks for your help,

María

In reply to María José Blanes

by Jim de St. Germain -

As of 5 Jan 2012, TurningTech does not support Moodle 2

In reply to Jim de St. Germain

by Lee Eyerman -

I upgraded from 1.9.9 to 2.2.  Everything went great except I cannot RESET any courses because the database says the table "turningtech" is missing.  I looked in my old 1.9.9 DB and there was no such table.  Is anyone having a similiar problem?  Does anyone know what the table structure of "turningtech" is so I can recreate it?

Thank you for your help!!!

In reply to Lee Eyerman

by Steven Evans -

Hi Lee,  I've just noticed that Turning Point have released a new block and module for Moodle 2.3 - It also appears that you have to use thier latest version of thier software (version 5) for compatability.  I have yet to install and try this, but I don't think it will be bacwards compatable with 2.2 - you might have to go directly to the vendor (turning point) for support.  Cheers Steve

In reply to María José Blanes

by rafa vila -

Hi María José,

There's a compatible software working with TP's clickers and Moodle 2: http://www.educlick.com/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46

This solution is used by the main universities in spain, and primary and secondary schools in many districts. Whatever you may need: rvilabelda@educlick.es

With regards

Rafa v.