Attendance grade for 3 of 7 days in week?

Attendance grade for 3 of 7 days in week?

by Paul Norrod -
Number of replies: 2

Is there a way to configure attendance so that I can perform the following:

Award attendance points (1 point per day) with a maximum of 3 points per week for each day a student logs into their course?  For example, if Jill logs in on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday she would be awarded 1 point for each of those days.  If she also logged in on Friday, however, she would not receive any points above 3.  Also, if she logged in and out more than once per day, she would only receive 1 point for the day.

What I am trying to do is reward students who stay current with the course - most do, but I need some type of carrot for those who don't (our institution is squaking about the high attrition rates in our online courses so we were told to do "something").  I can grade the students by looking at the logs, but it would be sooooo nice if the attendance module could somehow handle this situation.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Norrod

Re: Attendance grade for 3 of 7 days in week?

by Russell Jungwirth -
Unfortunately, the module doesn't do this at this time. You could set up moodle to automatically take attendance for each day of the week through the module and not let moodle grade them. Export the attendance statistics to a spreadsheet, then modify spreadsheet to calculate the statistics appropriately. At least it'll save you from having to dig through so many logs. If you need help with setting up the spreadsheet for post-processing, I'd be happy to help with that.

Russ
In reply to Russell Jungwirth

Re: Attendance grade for 3 of 7 days in week?

by Paul Norrod -
Thanks for the reply, Russell.  I am glad you are able to start working on the Attendance module again.  I know it can't do everything everyone wants, but I just thought I would ask in case there was something I was not aware of.

I am going to be working on my courses this summer and will look into ways that I can award points for attendance - using a spreadsheet is a definite possibility.

Thanks for your work on this module!