Manual Grading

Manual Grading

by Sara Nylander -
Number of replies: 4

I am VERY new to moodle, and am running on 1.6.  I have created a quiz of only essay questions.  I tried to complete the exam to test it, and once I had answered all of the essay questions, I clicked "submit" and was told that my grade was 0%.  I then logged in as a facilitator, and can't figure out how to manunally grade the questions.  Each question has been given a point value, but it seems that I can only grade 1 questions at a time based on percentages, not points.  Also, once I assign a percentage to an answer, I can't find where that percentage is recorded.

Any suggestions?  I'm VERY confused!!

In reply to Sara Nylander

Re: Manual Grading

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Sara!

I believe the percentages are converted to points in the gradebook.  I have 1.5.3, not 1.6, but I liked the percentages once I got used to them.  That way, I can say, "hmm, I think this is 75% right!"  and mark it that way.  The gradebook takes care of the rest!

The students will always get an initial grade of 0% because you haven't had time to evaluate their responses.  Moodle should email them when you assign the real grades.

It is true that Moodle sets it up where you grade one essay question for each student, then go to the next question and grade for each student, etc.  But I thought that it made me more consistent to do it that way.  I only had one question in my mind, and I could quickly go through and compare the answers to my grading rubric.  Then I could go to the next question and the next rubric!

Did you set up categories in your gradebook?  If not, look in "uncategorized".  You should find the grades there.

Maybe some of that helped--

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by N Hansen -
It's best though to assign a point value to the question that will translate from percentages back into points in a logical way. I didn't do that at first and my students were really perplexed by grades like 7.2. It's good to choose a point value like 10 or 20 and that way they will get scores like 8 or 18. Also, you can go into the code and alter the percentages available to choose from. I made sure I had every 5 percent available plus the 33.33 and 66.66.
In reply to Sara Nylander

by Gustav W Delius -
Sara, in Moodle 1.6 beta 4 the manual grading is now using points rather than percentages.

To do manual grading efficiently you should use the interface that you find in Moodle 1.6 beta 4 by clicking on the "Results" tab and then on "Manual grading".
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Jan Spies -
I am running Moodle 1.6 Beta 5 and can't find the "Results tab" and then "Manual Grading"