What server?

What server?

by Toni Mas -
Number of replies: 2
Hi!

I'm buy a server who has to manage 20.000 students and 700 courses. I'm estimate to have an 1500 users concurrence.

What I bying?  Processor, Number Processors, RAM, Storage, Raid for MySQL and filesystem (moodledata).

The only thing that I have little known is the storage, i'm estimate an 300 GB.

Thanks!!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Toni Mas

Re: What server?

by Pieterjan Heyse -
My opinion in this case is that you should buy multiple servers, maybe the catalyst guys can advise? You will want some level of redundancy, you will want to have multiple frontends to balance the load, because one webserver will _never_ pull this off.

I cannot give you figures, but have a look around in this forum, maybe you'll find something here.
In reply to Pieterjan Heyse

Re: What server?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
1500 concurrent users is not a joke! This is an (incomplete) list of things I would look at:

- To serve each user at say 500 kbit/s (a common bandwidth people are used to in Europe) the total will come upto 750 Mbit/s! OK, nobody uses 500 kbit/s continuously during interactive work, still this rather theoritical calculation gives an idea of the size of the work.

Have a carefull look at your network topology. Can it distribute the required bandwidth?

- Consider that a "good" network card is designed for 1000 Mbit/s. That is also "theoritical", I don't know of a single server in the PC range which could saturate a GBit network card. What about the harddisk subsystem, even if the webserver can process the PHP scripts at that rate?

I would also consider multiple servers as Pieterjan suggested.
- Definitely a separate database server, even a cluster.
- May be multiple webservers have to share the work, say in round-robin fashion.

The starting point is this http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance

You need much more. There were plenty of discussions and practical tips in this forum. Try the search facility.