a project about floating blocks

a project about floating blocks

by Carlos Galdo -
Number of replies: 2
hi,wink

two friends and I are interested in developing a funcionality for Moodle. We've thought about the floating blocks.

Some of the blocks at both sides of the page (like "Main Menu", "Lastest News",.. in Moodle.org) are very useful "all the time", that means that maybe a user is interested in seeing it/them all the time. For example, in courses, it is interesting to see the online users. Our idea is to make an option that convert a block in floating/static, like the option that hides/shows it.

We've read about the work of Joan Codina and Josep M. Fontana and their "Language Block": http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=31917#148678
We want to base on that work for each block in the page, consider possible collisions between blocks, maximum of floating blocks in order to avoid cover the whole frame.

Which are your opinions? Any help?

thanks! wink
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carlos Galdo

Re: a project about floating blocks

by Ferran Recio Calderó -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Carlos,

I'm one of the original developers of DFwiki (now just Wiki) and BlockModule. Currently I'm working on Internalmail new version and in BlockModule 2.

BlockModule enable to use blocks inside activities (it's own blocks, independent from course blocks). We are working on inline blocks (blocks inside the activity content, not in the sides) and have a small blocks on/off toggle button.

Your idea seems great. I've been working on blocks for some time, if I can help you, just tell me. May be It could be integrated with BlockModule 2 in the future.
In reply to Ferran Recio Calderó

Re: a project about floating blocks

by Darren Smith -
Sorry for cutting in but I'm intrigued as to what blocks inside the activity content means. Any chance you could expand smile

Darren