1.6dev to 1.6 beta: language in content corrupted

1.6dev to 1.6 beta: language in content corrupted

by Tormod Aagaard -
Number of replies: 4
I upgraded my test server from 1.6dev(some weeks old) to 1.6 beta, and the language in the content(not the moodle strings) got corrupted. That is non-ascii characters turned into garble, "æ" became "æ" f.ex.

Is this due to a doubling of the dbase migration process? (I didn't see any migration button, and everything was already 100% utf-8).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tormod Aagaard

Re: 1.6dev to 1.6 beta: language in content corrupted

by Paul Nijbakker -

HI Tormod,

In our server langauge strings in finnish got corrupted by the database conversion carried out by moodle 1.6 dev, we have sine upgraded to 1.6 bea, but that made no dfference.

I wonder if there is an easy way to repair database content (with some kind of find and replace function).

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This may have happened if you were using the older dev versions and some early Unicode conversion code.

Since you were using developer versions, I assume you were using backups and non-production servers? wink Can you go back to a pre-1.6 backup and upgrade to 1.6 again?

It MIGHT help to remove the "unicodedb" entry from the 'config' table and try the conversion again (you'll see a dialog on the admin page with info). Chances are not good though.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Martin,
Just taking this opportunity to request CVS rights so I can upload my new regexp question type to Moodle repository.
My SourceForge account:
Account: joseph@rezeau.org
User Account Name: joseph_rezeau
Publicly Displayed Name: Joseph_Rezeau
Thanks in advance.
Joseph
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your response. Yes, we used an old 1.6 dev version in a test server. We will make a new copy of our production database and try again with the latest 1.6 beta.

Rgrds,
Paul.