Want your 1.5 Quiz essay questions to upgrade to 1.6?

Want your 1.5 Quiz essay questions to upgrade to 1.6?

Mark Nielsen發表於
Number of replies: 9
If Yes, then please read on smile

Due to some changes in 1.6, which allows for all question types to be manually graded and commented, the essay question tables are no longer needed. This means that the data inside the tables must be migrated to other question tables. I have created an upgrade path to do this, but it should be more thoroughly tested before shoving it into 1.6 HEAD. So, those of you who have used the essay question in 1.5, please test these files so you can keep your essay question attempts in 1.6.

Attached are the files with a readme.txt that will hopefully help facilitate the testing.

If don't have any test data, then just looking at question/type/essay/*, mod/quiz/db/mysql.php and mod/quiz/db/postgres7.php to check for any obvious logic problems would be most helpful.

Cheers,
Mark
評比平均分數: -
In reply to Mark Nielsen

Re: Want your 1.5 Quiz essay questions to upgrade to 1.6?

Jean-Michel Védrine發表於
Hello Mark,
I would be happy to test that code but unfortunately the only Moodle 1.5x website that I have now is my production server and I only used essay question during the first semester of the accademic year and after that suppressed the data triste.
So the most I can do is to look at your code to see if I find any problem.
But I hope this code can make its way in Moodle 1.6 before the final release, if not some Moodle users will be in big trouble triste!!
In reply to Mark Nielsen

N Hansen發表於
Has this upgrade been built into 1.6 or will we need to install it manually if we are using essay questions?
In reply to N Hansen

Tim Hunt發表於
Core developers的相片 Documentation writers的相片 Particularly helpful Moodlers的相片 Peer reviewers的相片 Plugin developers的相片
We want to get this fixed for Moodle 1.6. See Bug #5720.

If anyone can help test this fix, that would be very helpful.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Want your 1.5 Quiz essay questions to upgrade to 1.6? WARNING!

N Hansen發表於
A warning to anyone upgrading-all teacher comments will be lost, see bug 5918. I'm waiting for a restoration of my old database to see what went wrong.
In reply to N Hansen

N Hansen發表於
For those of you who have already upgraded to 1.6 and lost your teachers' comments, I have come up with a fix that can be performed as long as you made a backup of your 1.5 database before upgrading. You can find it in the bug report linked to in my previous post. Good luck!
In reply to N Hansen

Tim Hunt發表於
Core developers的相片 Documentation writers的相片 Particularly helpful Moodlers的相片 Peer reviewers的相片 Plugin developers的相片
This got broken by the checkin for but 5720. The attached patch is basically a reworking of Mark Nielsen's attachment to the first post of this thread. I don't have any easy way to test this. Here is what you would need to do to test it.

1. Start with a test Moodle 1.5.x install, with several manually graded essay questions in the database.

2. Download the Moodle 1.6 code and copy it into place.

3. Apply the patch to the 1.6 code.

4. Do the upgrade.

5. Check that the comments are still there.

Can anyone do this?
In reply to Tim Hunt

Tim Hunt發表於
I started to do this, and was suprised to find that I did not have the option add an essay question to my Moodle 1.5 quiz.

Someone could have told me that the Essay question was an optional add-in for Moodle 1.5, that was moved into core for Moodle 1.6.

So whose responsibility is it for making sure the data is not lost? I suppose it is mine, curse it.

In reply to Tim Hunt

N Hansen發表於
Tim, don't beat yourself up about it. I didn't lose anything, because I did as everyone should do, I backed up my Moodle 1.5 installation first and was able to retrieve all the data with no loss. And I learned something about writing MySQL queries to transfer stuff from one table to another, which I actually knew nothing about before I taught myself how to do it yesterday. The only incurable problem would be for people who didn't back up their databases before upgrading, and regardless if you made a mistake or not, that is a mistake they made.

What I would worry about is the fact that the 1.6 download appears above the 1.6+ download. This might make it more likely some people will download the buggier version. But again, even if it is buggy, if they back up their database first nothing would be lost even if they had to do a little work to reconstitute the table.
In reply to N Hansen

Tim Hunt發表於
Fix checked in.

If you have already upgraded to 1.6, then your comments have already been thrown away, and there is nothing you can do.

But if you have not yet upgraded, and you upgrade in future to 1.6+ or 1.6.1 (when it is out), then your comments should be preserved.

If anyone can test this, it would be much appreciated.