Glossary not being displayed

Glossary not being displayed

by Rob Clarke -
Number of replies: 6
I'm using Moodle 1.5.3 and cannot get glossaries to be displayed. Strangely, I can add entries to the glossary by going through the Random Glossary Entry block and "Adding My Favourite Quote"
However, clicking on the glossary itself leads to just a blank page. The page loads but there's nothing on the page.

Any suggestions as to what's going wrong?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Clarke

Re: Glossary not being displayed

by Jan Dierckx -

that's really strange. The Random Glossary Entry block just redirects you to the glossary module.

What do you mean with clicking on the glossary? Can you tell us the exact url of the blank page? Is it really blank or does it contain faulty html when you view the source of the page?

And what link is displayed when you hover over the Adding My Favourite Quote message?

Is your site on the web so we can have a look...?

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Rob Clarke -
The exact URL for the glossary is:
http://www.spruce-moose.co.uk/moodle/moodle/mod/glossary/view.php?id=19

I've tried adding new glossaries but it has the same effect.

Feel free to sign in and take a look for yourself, and as you'll see there's not even any code on the page. It's completely blank.

The URL for adding is:
http://www.spruce-moose.co.uk/moodle/moodle/mod/glossary/edit.php?id=19

which works, but the URL above for viewing doesn't work, and neither does any of the other Browse By... categories (eg. .../view.php?id=19&mod=cat)

http://www.spruce-moose.co.uk/moodle/moodle

Cheers,
Rob
In reply to Rob Clarke

by Jan Dierckx -

Ok, I see the glossary entry is displayed inside the Random Glossary Entry block, but not when you visit the glossary itself.

Only difference is that the block doesn't use the format specified by the glossary. (Yes, that's a bug mixed)

This makes me think that your problem is related to the glossary formats. Can you try changing the glossary display format for that particular glossary?

Maybe an error is printed when you turn debugging info on. Visit Admin > configuration > variables and then in the "miscellaneous" part of the page set debug to Yes. (see screenshot)

Other guess: can you try uploading the file mod/glossary/view.php and the mod/glossary/formats directory again?

Attachment ScreenShot036.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Rob Clarke -
Re-uploading the file seems to have got it working again, and the glossary is showing now,although it appears to be coming up with this message:
Notice: Undefined variable: framebydefault in /var/www/html/moodle/moodle/mod/glossary/tabs.html on line 52

Which corresponds to this line of code:
$tab = $framebydefault;

Not quite sure what this means, but it'd be useful to get rid of it.

Any hints or tips?

Cheers,
Rob
In reply to Rob Clarke

by Jan Dierckx -

In PHP it is not really necessary to define variables before they are being used, however it is good programming practice to do so.

That's why PHP displays notices if a variable is being used without first being defined: there could be a typing mistake in the name of the variable. To get rid of the message set debug back to No.

I tried locating the undefined variable, but it is not in my Moodle 1.6 install. Which version are you using?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Rob Clarke -
I'm using 1.5.3

Set debugging back to No and that has cleared up the problem nicely.
Thanks!