Setting up a Moodle server on a domestic low-cost NAS

Setting up a Moodle server on a domestic low-cost NAS

by Jose Francisco BG -
Number of replies: 17
Hello everyone,

I want to set up a server with moodle and for this I was thinking of buying a low-cost NAS type synology DS211 or a WD Ex2. My question is if it is possible to easily mount a moodle server on any of these NAS.

Thank you.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jose Francisco BG

Re: Setting up a Moodle server on a domestic low-cost NAS

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It appears to be possible as we get quite a few questions about it. While they're inexpensive, you can also buy (or put together) a basic server for not much money and run Linux on it. I think the latter is going to be a lot less bother.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Jose Francisco BG -
I am thinking arround a 200€ NAS

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Have you considered
https://moodlebox.net/en/
Moodle on the Raspberry Pi. Because it is a standard set of hardware and that code is well tested on it, it may offer a low risk approach. The Raspbery pi 400 (the one combined in a keyboard) is available and at a reasonable price.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What can you get used for EU200 that isn't a non-standard NAS or a Raspberry Pi. That's what I would do - which isn't necessarily good advice or a recommendation wink
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
"What can you get used for EU200 that isn't a non-standard NAS or a Raspberry Pi."
The linked discussion covers the Orange Pi, which could well fit the bill, but there is less support/accessories than the RPi. There is a world of addons for RPi that are known to work and a Moodle package aimed at it, there is a world of generic stuff that might work with Orange Pi.
In reply to Marcus Green

by AL Rachels -
I have switched my development server setup to an Orange Pi5 with 16GB of RAM. Works great for just me and the various "student" accounts that I connect to it with. Even though I will have up to five users logged in via different browsers, the concurrent connections is always just one, (I only have one mouse.) so the performance is always good/the same. Oh, I use a 64GB chip for mass storage.

I do have a couple of Odroid products based on their XU4 SBC, that work just as well. One, the MC1_4, has four boards mounted in an aluminum holder with a fan mounted on the back. Works well for simple cluster testing. The other, HC1, using the same basic type of board but with a SATA connector, is in an aluminum tray that supports one SSD or one spinning drive connected to the board. I currently only have a 128GB drive attached, but will soon try and switch to a 2TB SSD.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I like your Odroid turbine! ;) What does it catapult?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by AL Rachels -
Just a pretty good column of air right out of the front where you see the connectors

I used to get so annoyed as it was sitting only a few centimeters from my left arm. I eventually stuck a piece of cardboard and deflected the air away from freezing my arm. smile
In reply to AL Rachels

by Howard Miller -
Clearly, I'm going to have to "get with the programme" and buy one big grin

I've played with Synology a long time ago. Got Moodle running. But its unorthodox (compared to mainstream) Linux was a pain. If I were to build something DIY today, I would take a Raspberry Pi. For one with Raspberry Pi OS it is pretty much Debian. Secondly it can do a whole lot of things which are useful in a home environment in parallel.

I know, RPi is in short supply now for years. Then there are so many similar alternatives. No, I haven't experimented with them, I happen to have collected enough RPi for dry times, so I can't recommend any.

Edit: I see RPi 400 mentioned. I've found 3 B and 3 B+ also perform well as Moodle servers. With smaller ones, 3 A+, Zero 2 W, etc. even 512 MB RAM is OK. Only thing your are better off with the 64 bit models.

by Marcus Green -
I have been following the Pi shortage story and it looks like it will ease up in Q4 this year. Meanwhile this seems quite good value (from amazon.co.uk, ...)

In reply to Marcus Green

I find the RPi 400 with keyboard and mouse pad clumsy as a headless server. The Web is full of RPi alternatives, also being discussed here. Can anybody suggest a hardware "drop-in" replacement for RPi 3 B, RPi 3 B+  or Rpi 4 B?

by Marcus Green -
"I find the RPi 400 with keyboard and mouse pad clumsy as a headless server"
What is it that you find clumsy?
In reply to Marcus Green

The RPi 400 counterpart of this:

(source https://blog.cavelab.dev/2017/07/rpi-stacked-setup/)

That is how I imagine headless servers. I had exactly that, now dismantled.

by Marcus Green -
The original question was about a domestic low cost domestic NAS. I associate NAS (Networked Attached Storage) a convenient packaged solution. This is why I thought the RPi 400 with its keyboard added some convenience in that there would be less setup with the convenience of a keyboard, plus Moodlebox means you would have active support specifically for this hardware. But as ever, it depends.
In reply to Marcus Green

You quoted me saying, "I find the RPi 400 with keyboard and mouse pad clumsy as a headless server". Note the _headless server_. That is what we are talking now. So how is the RPi 400 is connected to the disk array? Do you have any references?

If you want to go back to the "original question was about a domestic low cost domestic NAS. I associate NAS (Networked Attached Storage) a convenient packaged solution", I am yet to see a low cost domestic NAS with an attached keyboard.

by Marcus Green -
I have never thought of a disk array as essential to a low cost domestic NAS (I just did an amazon search on domestic NAS)  The domestic bit to me implies modest resources. I would agree if it were in any way commercial.

The primary purpose in the original question is to run Moodle.