Granting an extension to the whole course. 3.9

Granting an extension to the whole course. 3.9

by Velson Horie -
Number of replies: 3
The course has finished, but a student who was ill now wants to submit 7 Assignments and 2 Quizzes.
How can I keep the course closed for every student except this one?

It is possible to grant an extension for an individual assignment, but that means a lot of repetitive entering the same dates. At the moment, it is taking about 80 seconds for the Moodle screen to load a new page.

This happens about 2-3 times a year. There must be an easier way.

Thank  you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Velson Horie

Re: Granting an extension to the whole course. 3.9

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Moodle can create overrides for quizzes and assignments. However, I am unsure about the entire course. Maybe someone else will know.

My question is, "Why are you making exceptions for these few students?" Are you being fair to the students who met the due dates? Do you know that other students who missed a due date did so because they were ill, but decided not to seek your override? Along with my questions, I wonder if you allowed some flexibility for students to submit ahead of the due date. In my case, I allow two weeks and encourage students to submit early.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Velson Horie -
Thanks
In the 4 month distance learning course, we give the students a deadline each month for each block of work. And they can submit any work in the course as long it is before the block's deadline
The father of this particular student died about 2 weeks before the deadline of the final block (I elided a number of students' situations in my first post). She had to return to Spain to deal with the estate etc. We gave her an extra week. A not untypical request, especially during Covid. But we expect most students to work through the course and life in parallel. One student did the course to time beside the bed of her dying mother. I never found out how she did the considerable amount of experimental work when I eventually met her 15 years later.
In reply to Velson Horie

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Perhaps you can leave the course open for a while longer, and override the due dates for this particular student's specific quizzes and assignments. Other students will see the course open but won't be able to do assignments.

I have experienced all kinds of excuses.
Yes, all kinds of deaths of family members. I am attaching an article about this.
Yes, all those COVID excuses.
Yes, the single student who was totally attached to her dog, then her dog died.
Yes, the student whose best friend died.  Or a friend of a friend.
Yes, the student whose parent died at the beginning of the course, affecting them at the course's end.
Yes, the student whose car battery died on the way home to take the online exam.
Yes, the student whose computer died right before taking the exam.

Can you tell me that one of these deaths is less significant to the student than the other?

My proposal has been for the university to give an exception to the student, allowing them to retake the course for free.  However, whenever a suggestion involves the university making time or cost concessions, the university seems unwilling to put in the extra effort. Hmmm, the university is willing to change their rules??? Still, the university has no problem having the instructor do so.

My daughter told me her story.  She was taking a course with firm due dates.  She was a single mom, with a two-year-old child.  To meet the due date, she had to hire a babysitter.  Then, the day the assignment was due, some students didn't finish their assignment on time, and the instructor said, "I'll give everyone five more days."  Was this fair to my daughter, who paid for a babysitter to complete her work?

I maintain that having a firm due date is the only fair solution.

In this attached article, I have always enjoyed the author's three solutions.  Enjoy.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)