Upgrading Moodle 4.1.3+ to Moodle 4.2+ on a MacBook Pro

Upgrading Moodle 4.1.3+ to Moodle 4.2+ on a MacBook Pro

by Dan O'Reilly -
Number of replies: 4
I am running Moodle 4.1.3+ on a MacBook Pro (macOS Ventura 13.3.1) using MAMP Version 6.3.

I set up this install 2 years ago following Rick Jerz's instruction video to install Moodle on a Sandbox - Mac (   ).

At that time, I installed Moodle 3.10.2 and, subsequently, I followed the upgrading notes provided by Rick (don't have the reference) through every Moodle upgrade to 4.1.3+.  However, those steps will not work for the upgrade to 4.2+.

It appears that MAMP 6.3, which I am using, does not have the correct MySQL database, which apparently is 8.

I checked the MAMP website and the latest version of MAMP 6.8 also does not have MySQL 8.

Does this mean that I cannot upgrade to 4.2+ using MAMP on my MacBook?

Dan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan O'Reilly

Re: Upgrading Moodle 4.1.3+ to Moodle 4.2+ on a MacBook Pro

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Dan, it's Rick.

Here's the problem. Moodle 4.2 requires MySQL 8, which MAMP doesn't provide, yet.

But, there is a workaround. Go to htdocs/your moodle 4/admin folder. In it, you will see an "environment.xml" file. Edit this file using any text editor. Search for version="4.2". Below this, you will see the required versions of various databases. I assume that your MAMP uses MySQL. So, edit the line for name=mysql, and change this to your MySQL version. In my case, it becomes version=5.7.34. Save the file, and Moodle 4.2 should work if you have ungraded correctly and don't have a plugin that is incompatible with Moodle 4.2.

I asked about this in a post and was told that Moodle 4.2 doesn't use anything specific in MySQL 8, yet.

Below is how this line appears in my text editor.

Incidentally, I happen to be vacationing in Pittsburgh right now.  You might know Pittsburgh, too.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dan O'Reilly -
Hi Rick,

Thanks very much for your input.

I am close to Moodle 4.2+ running on my MacBook except for the error "php_extension gd" must be installed and enabled. I can't spend more time on it right now and will return to this issue later this afternoon.

Yes, I am in Pittsburgh, though lived most of my adult life in British Columbia, Canada.  My wife is a native Pittsburgher.  Hope you are enjoying your vacation here.  Nice weather finally!

Dan
In reply to Dan O'Reilly

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
That gd extension is supposed to be bundled in MAMP. I have never done anything to enable it. So you have me puzzled.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dan O'Reilly -
Rick,

I successfully upgraded to MAMP ver 6.8; hoping that would provide the necessary PHP gd extension. So, I am running Moodle 4.1.3+ on MAMP 6.8 with no problem. Started the upgrade to 4.2+. I made the changes to "environment.xml" to deal with the MySQL issue. However, MAMP 6.8 only allows two PHP versions 7.4.33 and 8.2 through its GUI.  Moodle 4.2+ crashes on PHP version 8.2. I receive an error message that there is a problem in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/moodle/cache/classes/config.php at line 146 (and am not able to decipher the code at that line).  Anyway, returned my Moodle installation to 4.1.3+ for now.

Dan