Install fails with WAMP

Install fails with WAMP

by Oliver Burdekin -
Number of replies: 3
I'm using WAMP to try and install Moodle. My stack is as follows:
Moodle 4.1.3
PHP 7.4.0 (with extensions and settings adjusted as per the docs)
MySQL 5.7.28 on port 3006

I have created the new database (as per the docs) and double checked permissions for the user through php myAdmin.

When I visit http://moodle the install.php loads up as expected.

I can choose the language, select "next", select the paths (which I leave as the defaults -  they look correct).

When I click next from this "confirm paths" page the next page fails to load and I get a "The connection was reset error" (using firefox 111.0.1).

I have tried using the http://localhost.moodle url and the same tthing happens.

I believe the next stage of the set up is creating the database tables. How can I enable logs (or where are the logs I should be looking at) to find out what is going wrong at this stage of the set up process?

When the install fails here the config.php file has not been created in the moodle directory and no database tables have been created.

Cheers,

Oliver
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Oliver Burdekin

Re: Install fails with WAMP

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
A few things ... not really solution, but might help you resolve this!

You used phpMyAdmin to create the blank database for the moodle.  What url did you use to access phpMyAdmin?  And what credentials were used? (login/pass).   With WAMP, wonder if the user is root with no password (yes, DB server can be setup that way - not wise IMHO, but since this is WAMP an you are using a broswer right on the same machine to access moodle, one isn't using true networking and remote access.)

When one gets the connection lost, can you still login to phpMyAdmin in another browser tab?

Networking comes before application ... reason I mention that ... when using localhost for DB that might be using a socket connection to the DB.   localhost should always resolve in DNS as 127.0.0.1 in IPv4.   So you attempting to use http://moodle - should fail ... NOT in DNS and not in host file.   When it comes to DNS, think all operating systems use a host file (host.txt on Windows?).   That's a text file than can be edited with a text editor.   Not sure what it would be called in Windows nor where it would be located .... not a Windows person ... but using file systems browse files one should be able to search for it.

A google search found this link:

And with any machine that's not a true server, for this to work consistently, the IP address needs to be statically assigned ... same IP all the time ... even after reboots.

Thought ... 2 cents worth?   Windows  now has ability to run a Linux Ubuntu in a Windows subsystem.   Folks have successfully installed Ubuntu and all the supports for Moodle via Ubuntu's package manager ... even use git for moodle code.

Advantage for taking the WSL approach might be ... there is more support for Linux than Windows in these forums.   And if using git, much easier to obtain updates to the moodle installed.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Install fails with WAMP

by Oliver Burdekin -
Ken, thanks so much for the comprehensive troubleshooting advice. I've now got it working by installing WAMP 3.3 (I was on 3.2)
It worked straight away once I'd repeated the install steps. Just to clarify I used the mysql console to setup the DB and git to download Moodle. With the fresh install of WAMP everything worked so no need to go the WSL route (although I've got that up and running for other projects)

Thanks again,

Oliver
Average of ratings: Useful (1)